Bob’s victory in the triathlon

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:710

Bob’s victory in the triathlon

by TheGmatTutor » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:49 pm
Bob's victory in the triathlon can be attributed to his superior strength and also his above-average conditioning.

(A) Bob's victory in the triathlon can be attributed to his superior strength and also his above-average conditioning.
(B) Bob's victory in the triathlon can be attributed both to his superior strength plus his above-average conditioning.
(C) Bob's victory in the triathlon can be attributed both to his superior strength and to his above-average conditioning.
(D) Bob's victory in the triathlon can be attributed to his strength, which was superior, and his above-average conditioning.
(E) Bob's victory in the triathlon can be attributed to his superior strength and the fact that his conditioning was above-average.

Source: Original
Last edited by TheGmatTutor on Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If this post was helpful, please click the "Thanks" button.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by Uva@90 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:26 pm
TheGmatTutor wrote:Bob's victory in the triathlon can be attributed to his superior strength and also his above-average conditioning.

(A) Bob's victory in the triathlon can be attributed to his superior strength and also his above-average conditioning.
(B) Bob's victory in the triathlon can be attributed both to his superior strength plus his above-average conditioning.
(C) Bob's victory in the triathlon can be attributed both to his superior strength and his above-average conditioning.
(D) Bob's victory in the triathlon can be attributed to his strength, which was superior, and his above-average conditioning.
(E) Bob's victory in the triathlon can be attributed to his superior strength and the fact that his conditioning was above-average.

IS OA A ?

Regards,
Uva
Known is a drop Unknown is an Ocean

by Sun Light » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:06 am
TheGmatTutor wrote:Bob's victory in the triathlon can be attributed to his superior strength and also his above-average conditioning.

(C) Bob's victory in the triathlon can be attributed both to his superior strength and his above-average conditioning.

My take:-

Option A: Use of "and also" is redundant.

Option B: This is the correct idiom: "Both x and y", and not "Both x plus y".

Option C: Both "prepositional phrase" and "noun phrase".

Option D: The use of 'which' is incorrect. It's important to mention 'superior strength'.
"Which was superior" seems to be incorrect. The strength might be superior now too; there seems to be a tense issue.

Option E: "the fact" seems wordy. I think the correct answer might be either D or E; I will go with E.

Need the source. Experts please comment.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by src_saurav » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:33 am
I split down to A and D . I think A could be answer because D is wordy.

by Sun Light » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:31 am
src_saurav wrote:I split down to A and D . I think A could be answer because D is wordy.

Use of "and also" might be redundant?

GMAT Score:710

by TheGmatTutor » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:19 pm
Thanks all for your comments. There was an error in the question as posted originally. I have since updated the answer choices and it should be more clear now.

OA: C
If this post was helpful, please click the "Thanks" button.