GPREP SC- 17

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

GPREP SC- 17

by abhasjha » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:25 pm
The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be the world's smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs less than 11 ounces.

(A) to be the world's smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs

(B) to be the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a handheld computer, weighing

(C) is the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a handheld computer, and it weighs

(D) is the world's smallest network digital camcorder, which is as long as a handheld computer and weighs

(E) is the world's smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, weighing

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by tacas784 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:25 am
I think ans is C

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:650

by theCodeToGMAT » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:51 pm
{A} "it" makes it a run-on; IGNORE
{B} & {C} "which" issue; IGNORE
{E} "weighing" is either modifying complete clause or the subject of the clause.. but it should be modifying camcorder. IGNORE

{D}
R A H U L

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by phanikpk » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:38 am
IMO, D
Clearly, IT is lacking a clear referant and weighing is redundant here
Last edited by phanikpk on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by maruthisandeep » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:04 am
Is the answer D?

A and B usage of 'to be' is wrong. Option C which modifies world so wrong. Option E quite awkward.

OA please.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:32 am
abhasjha wrote:The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be the world's smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs less than 11 ounces.

(A) to be the world's smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs

(B) to be the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a handheld computer, weighing

(C) is the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a handheld computer, and it weighs

(D) is the world's smallest network digital camcorder, which is as long as a handheld computer and weighs

(E) is the world's smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, weighing
In A, both which and it seem to refer to the world's smallest network digital camcorder.
Two different pronouns cannot have the same referent.
Eliminate A.

which + singular verb must refer to the nearest preceding singular noun.
In B and C, which seems to refer to the world, implying that the WORLD is as long as a handheld computer.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate B and C.

The agent of a COMMA + VERBing modifier should be the nearest preceding subject.
In E, weighing seems to refer to the length (the nearest preceding subject), implying that the LENGTH is weighing less than 11 ounces -- a nonsensical meaning.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gmat_chanakya » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:28 pm
When is "Claims to be" preferred to "claims is" ?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:43 pm
gmat_chanakya wrote:When is "Claims to be" preferred to "claims is" ?
Use claims to be when the subject of claims is referring to ITSELF:
The manufacturer claims to be worth millions.

Use claims is when the subject of claims is referring to something OTHER THAN ITSELF:
a car that the manufacturer claims is the fastest vehicle ever produced.

In the SC above, the subject of claims (the company) is referring to something other than itself (the camcorder), so the appropriate idiom is claims is.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by sukkhi » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:07 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
gmat_chanakya wrote:When is "Claims to be" preferred to "claims is" ?
Use claims to be when the subject of claims is referring to ITSELF:
The manufacturer claims to be worth millions.

Use claims is when the subject of claims is referring to something OTHER THAN ITSELF:

In the SC above, the subject of claims (the company) is referring to something other than itself (the camcorder), so the appropriate idiom is claims is.
isnt "it" in |the company has unveiled what it claims...| refers to the company ??

like ..the company has XXX what company claims XXXX

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:07 pm
sukkhi wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:Use claims is when the subject of claims is referring to something OTHER THAN ITSELF:
isnt "it" in |the company has unveiled what it claims...| refers to the company ??

In the SC above, the company is making a claim NOT ABOUT ITSELF but about the DEVICE that the company has unveiled.
What does the company claim?
The company claims that this device is THE WORLD'S SMALLEST NETWORK CAMCORDER.
Since the company is not making a claim about itself, the appropriate idiom is claims is:
The electronics company has unveiled what it CLAIMS IS the world's smallest network digital camcorder.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by sukkhi » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:22 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
sukkhi wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:Use claims is when the subject of claims is referring to something OTHER THAN ITSELF:

In the SC above, the company is making a claim NOT ABOUT ITSELF but about the DEVICE that the company has unveiled.

What does the company claim?
The company claims that this device is THE WORLD'S SMALLEST NETWORK CAMCORDER.
Since the company is not making a claim about itself, the appropriate idiom is claims is:
The electronics company has unveiled what it CLAIMS IS the world's smallest network digital camcorder.
yo definitely..:D

thanx mitch

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:47 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
abhasjha wrote:The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be the world's smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs less than 11 ounces.

In A, both which and it seem to refer to the world's smallest network digital camcorder.
Two different pronouns cannot have the same referent.
Eliminate A.

which + singular verb must refer to the nearest preceding singular noun.
In B and C, which seems to refer to the world, implying that the WORLD is as long as a handheld computer.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate B and C.

The agent of a COMMA + VERBing modifier should be the nearest preceding subject.
In E, weighing seems to refer to the length (the nearest preceding subject), implying that the LENGTH is weighing less than 11 ounces -- a nonsensical meaning.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
Mitch - a quick question on Errors in A.

the length of which is that of a handheld computer - isn't it an AWKWARD construction on GMAT ?

And per GMAT, CLAIM has to be followed either by TO BE or by THAT idiomatically, I think.Right ? If so, then in this OA, isn't THAT MISSING ?

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:11 am
Hi Mitch - could you please share your feedback on my immediate above post ?

Much thanks in advance!

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:28 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:
Mitch - a quick question on Errors in A.

the length of which is that of a handheld computer - isn't it an AWKWARD construction on GMAT ?
Agreed.
It is awkward to juxtapose two different pronouns -- which and that -- each with its own referent (which = camcorder, that = length).
And per GMAT, CLAIM has to be followed either by TO BE or by THAT idiomatically, I think.Right ? If so, then in this OA, isn't THAT MISSING ?
OA: The electronics company has unveiled what it claims is the world's smallest network digital camcorder.
As I mentioned in my post above, to be would be inappropriate here because the company is not making a claim about itself.
If we insert that after claims, we get:
The electronics company has unveiled what it claims that is the world's smallest network digital camcorder.
This sentence makes no sense.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:55 am
GMATGuruNY wrote: If we insert that after claims, we get:
The electronics company has unveiled what it claims that is the world's smallest network digital camcorder.
This sentence makes no sense.
OK. So,when the subject of claims is referring to something OTHER THAN ITSELF claims is OR CLAIM THAT is used on GMAT. Right ?

The electronics company has unveiled what it claims is the world's smallest network digital camcorder.
For the above sentence, could you please shed light on
1) which is the SUBJECT of the VERB is and

2)how we can rewrite this sentence without WHAT ?