HELP!

Share feedback about this free GMAT prep guide
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

HELP!

by yb32 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:47 pm
Hi All,

Background:
Took a MGMAT class earlier this year, and then fell off. Everything that could happen, did happen. Now that the dust has settled a bit, I'm trying to get back into study mode. I had a hard time during the class just because I didn't know how to study concepts and go through problems all at once.

So, I'm up to day 7, and I still feel very overwhelmed. I know you're suppose to memorize concepts, but how do you apply concepts/tricks that you just learned to OG problems without referencing your notes? or should you be referencing them when you do practice questions?

For example, today we are reviewing Ratios. Is it expected that I should have the concept memorized in order to do practice questions? It's kind of like learning a new topic in class, and having a quiz 20 min later, with out using your notes. I'm trying to take it one day at a time, but all of this information is just so overwhelming, and I can't figure how how to manage my time to learn concepts, go through flash cards, and do practice questions in 2-3 hrs a day.

Any advice on time management and material organization would be greatly appreciated!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:18 am
If you feel that the 60-day plan is overwhelming, then it might not be the right time frame for you. Many approach the GMAT with emotional desires to complete by a certain time for a certain reason. While it is important to have ambitious goals, also be realistic.

As far as your question on referencing notes, I would leave that for your review.

The overall point is that if you are having difficulty holding onto the concepts you might need a little more practice with the material before you race through more material.

Feel free to give our product a try (it's free for a while), it will adjust the study plan based on your goals and performance.

Jim
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:40 am
The time it takes to complete each day's activities will vary from person to person. It also varies depending on which resource you use (GMAT Prep Now videos or MGMAT books).
Also, some days take longer to complete.

If you're having difficulties keeping up, don't worry. You can take longer than a day to complete the activities if you run out of time. Plus, later on in the Guide, much of your time is spent working on weaknesses (i.e., not learning new content).

When it comes to answering practice questions, you should feel free to reference your notes while doing so. At the moment, you're trying to master the necessary skills, so don't try to replicate a formal test environment. JUst do whatever it takes to master those skills.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by yb32 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:36 am
Thank you Jim and Brent!

I have pushed my apps back a year, so technically I'm in no rush. however, I do want to be done with the GMAT by the end of year, so I'm trying to pace myself in case I have to take it more than once. I will just pace myself to learn the material, and complete the practice questions with my notes until I have the concepts memorized. It's a marathon right? :-)