Expert Advice

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:650

Expert Advice

by akash singhal » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:33 pm
Medicare, the United States government's health insurance program for the elderly and disabled,
covers the full cost of home health care, but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent
of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.

A. but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by
beneficiaries
B. but not of other nonhospital services, making beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs
C. but not of other nonhospital services, for which beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of the costs
D. which is unlike other nonhospital services in that 20 percent of the costs must be paid by
beneficiaries
E. which is unlike other nonhospital services that make beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs

OEC

My doubt here is "but" is not a parallel marker(Is it?), it is connecting two independent statements but
I think Later part of C depends on former how can it be independent.

IS my observation right or wrong?

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:03 am
Hi Akash,

Firstly, for the benefit of other lets evaluate options.

Medicare, the United States government's health insurance program for the elderly and disabled,
covers the full cost of home health care, but not with other non hospital services where 20 percent

Rewriting the question without appositive modifier.

Medicare covers the full cost of home health care, but not with other non hospital services where 20 percent

A. but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by
beneficiaries
B. but not of other nonhospital services, making beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs
C. but not of other nonhospital services, for which beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of the costs
D. which is unlike other nonhospital services in that 20 percent of the costs must be paid by
beneficiaries
E. which is unlike other nonhospital services that make beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs
My doubt here is "but" is not a parallel marker(Is it?), it is connecting two independent statements but

Yes, 'but' here is a sort of parallel marker. It helps in eliminating A. However, its not dealing with two independent clauses but contrasting between two types of services in a single clause.

Hope it helps.
Regards,

Pranay

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Sun Light » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:52 am
akash singhal wrote:Medicare, the United States government's health insurance program for the elderly and disabled,
covers the full cost of home health care, but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent

beneficiaries
beneficiaries

OEC

My thoughts: Choice C-

'but' is a parallel marker. The full cost of home health care, but not "the full cost" of other non-hospital services. Noun followed by a prepositional phrase is on either sides of 'but'.

'For which' modifies non-hospital services; there is no independent clause attached to ",but".

The parallelism in the problem is surely difficult to locate.

Choice A: Incorrect use of 'where. 'but not with' seems to make less sense.

Choice B: incorrect usage of adverbial modifier. The meaning that can be derived is that the
medicare covers the full cost by making beneficiaries pay, incorrect.

Choice D & E: Messes with 'which'.

Hope my analysis is correct.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:650

by akash singhal » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:13 am
bubbliiiiiiii wrote:Hi Akash,

Firstly, for the benefit of other lets evaluate options.

covers the full cost of home health care, but not with other non hospital services where 20 percent

Rewriting the question without appositive modifier.

Medicare covers the full cost of home health care, but not with other non hospital services where 20 percent

beneficiaries
beneficiaries

Yes, 'but' here is a sort of parallel marker. It helps in eliminating A. However, its not dealing with two independent clauses but contrasting between two types of services in a single clause.

Hope it helps.
Whats wrong with A and B?????
And how is the two parallel?

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:51 am

beneficiaries

There is a comparison issue here.

This is gramatically correct but there is a meaning issue in this sentence. making here does not clearly state what it modifies!
Regards,

Pranay

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:32 am
Medicare, the United States government's health insurance program for the elderly and disabled, covers the full cost of home health care, but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.

A. but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.
B. but not of other nonhospital services, making beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.
C. but not of other nonhospital services, for which beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of the costs.
D. which is unlike other nonhospital services in that 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.
E. which is unlike other nonhospital services that make beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.
In A, B, D and E, it is not crystal clear exactly WHAT costs are implied by 20 percent of the costs.
Only C makes the intended meaning crystal clear:
C: Medicare covers the full cost of home health care but not of other nonhospital services, for which beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of the costs.
Here, which refers to other nonhospital services, making it crystal clear that beneficiaries must pay 20 percent of the costs FOR OTHER NONHOSPITAL SERVICES.

The correct answer is C.

OA: Medicare covers the full cost OF HOME HEALTH CARE, but not OF OTHER HOSPITAL SERVICES.
Here, of home health care and of other hospital services are parallel forms connected by but.
Conveyed meaning:
Medicare covers the full cost of home health care, but not [the full cost] of other hospital services.
The words in brackets are omitted, but their presence is implied.
Note the following:
On the GMAT, COMMA + but does NOT have to be followed by an independent clause.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:50 am
Whats wrong with A and B?????
And how is the two parallel?
As GMATguru describes above there is really only one sentence that makes sense logically. Otherwise is the hospital services that are making the 20 percent. This just doesn't make sense.

Try not to get caught up in trying to figure out why every piece of grammatical structure is the way that it is. Focus more on trying to understand how the GMAT presents errors in the topics that are tested - the English language is massively complex and there is no way to learn every rule - this exam tests the way you problem solve.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by bolmstead » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:39 pm
A. but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.
B. but not of other nonhospital services, making beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.

Mitch did a good job clearing it up.

I also want to add that "where" refers to a place.
A treats services as a place. Wrong.
B verb-ing modifiers refer to the preceding cause. That would incorrectly mean that the non-hospital services were making beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs. Is that what the sentence is trying to say? No.

Mitch, if you can. Please confirm or correct.

Jim, no need to reply (no offense).

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:11 am
bolmstead wrote:A. but not with other nonhospital services where 20 percent of the costs must be paid by beneficiaries.

Mitch did a good job clearing it up.

I also want to add that "where" refers to a place.
A treats services as a place. Wrong.
This line of reasoning is correct.
On the GMAT, where must serve to refer to a PHYSICAL PLACE.
B verb-ing modifiers refer to the preceding cause. That would incorrectly mean that the non-hospital services were making beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs. Is that what the sentence is trying to say? No.

Mitch, if you can. Please confirm or correct.
This line of the reasoning is not quite right.
A COMMA + VERBing modifier must serve to express an action that is attributed to the PRECEDING SUBJECT and that happens concurrently with the PRECEDING ACTION.
B: Medicare...covers the full cost of home health care, making beneficiaries pay 20% of the costs.
Here, COMMA + making seems to refer to Medicare (the preceding subject), implying a nonsensical meaning:
that Medicare is MAKING BENEFICIARIES PAY 20% OF THE COSTS at the same time as the program COVERS THE FULL COST.
Eliminate B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by bolmstead » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:51 pm
Thanks Mitch! That's one hell of an intervening clause then!

"the United States government's health insurance program for the elderly and disabled, covers the full cost of home health care,"

I see what the GMAT is up to here...try to distract the reader from the subject hiding way at the beginning of the sentence.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:42 am
bolmstead wrote:Thanks Mitch! That's one hell of an intervening clause then!

"the United States government's health insurance program for the elderly and disabled, covers the full cost of home health care,"

I see what the GMAT is up to here...try to distract the reader from the subject hiding way at the beginning of the sentence.
On the GMAT, it is very common for a verb to be far from its subject.

B: Medicare, the United States government's health insurance program for the elderly and disabled, covers the full cost of home health care, but not of other nonhospital services, making beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.
Here, the phrase in red is an APPOSITIVE.
An appositive is a noun or noun phrase that serves to explain or define another noun.
Here, the noun phrase in red serves to define Medicare.
The phrase in green is enclosed in commas, implying that it is a NONESSENTIAL MODIFIER.
Neither of these phrases constitute clauses; neither includes both a subject and a verb.
If we omit these modifiers, we get the core of the sentence:
Medicare covers the full cost of home health care.
If we include the VERBing modifier at the end of the sentence, we get:
Medicare covers the full cost of home health care, making beneficiaries pay 20 percent of the costs.
Conveyed meaning:
As Medicare COVERS the full cost, it is at the same time MAKING beneficiaries pay 20%.
This meaning is nonsensical.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3