CBS Question

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:3 members

CBS Question

by thor5517 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:34 pm
Hello,

I had a question about CBS. If your applying Regular Decision to CBS is there any benefit to applying early (say before the HBS deadline)? I know they review ED apps first so the RD apps wont get looked at until late ~November I assume.

If you do submit early to RD can you still expect to get a decision by Mid december or are you most likely going to get a decision in mid January- cause that decision can change if you should apply R2 or not. Do you have any thoughts or past examples of this?

Also are RD applicants at a distinct disadvantage when compared to ED applicants?

Thanks! Any advice you have is greatly appreciated.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:32 pm
Hi there,

Columbia's admissions process is rolling, so it IS always advisable to apply early (as early as you are comfortable... you don't want to rush too much and submit something you aren't happy with). Whether you do early decision or regular, earlier is better generally. The school reviews applications as they receive them within the specified timeframes. But no matter what, for all of your questions, I do encourage you to reach out to CBS specifically! It doesn't hurt to ask those types of logistical questions. As for advantage.. I'd say yes if you KNOW CBS is your first choice, and you can be ready for ED and you are up for the commitment, then I'd encourage you to apply as it shows that much more interest in and commitment to the program, which does give an advantage. That said I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a huge DIS-advantage to apply regular. Really depends where your heart is at. Good luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders