SC doubt

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

SC doubt

by prachi18oct » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:48 am
The insect, famed for its remarkable annual migrations, faced declines in habitat on both the Central American and Canadian ends of its range for decades, now is the focus of an urgent push for a rescue.

A)decades, now is the focus of an urgent push for a rescue
B) decades, has now become the focus of an urgent rescue push
C) decades, and now is the focus of an urgent push for a rescue
D) decades now, is the focus of an urgent push for a rescue
E) decades; now is the focus of an urgent rescue push

what is the role of "famed for its remarkable annual migrations, faced declines in habitat on both the Central American and Canadian ends of its range for decades" ?
What is the main verb for the subject "Insect" in A,C ?

Followed by:1 members

by src_saurav » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:50 am
The answer should be B.

The part after insect,.....till decades is FLUFF....i.e. junk that confuses. The considerable part is after decades,...

I split up to B and E.

Chose B because it makes sense.

Followed by:3 members

by theCEO » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:02 am
src_saurav wrote:The answer should be B.

The part after insect,.....till decades is FLUFF....i.e. junk that confuses. The considerable part is after decades,...

I split up to B and E.

The sentence can be reduced to:
"The insect faced declines in habitat, now is the focus of an urgent push for a rescue."

If we use choice b, the sentence reads as:
"The insect faced declines in habitat, has now become the focus of an urgent rescue push"

This doesn't sound correct(run-on), hence B is incorrect. We need a conjuction to join the two parts of the sentence.

Choice C is the only one that has a conjunction.
"The insect faced declines in habitat, and now is the focus of an urgent push for a rescue"

Ans = c

Followed by:5 members

by prachi18oct » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:52 am
theCEO wrote:
src_saurav wrote:The answer should be B.

I split up to B and E.

The sentence can be reduced to:
"The insect faced declines in habitat, now is the focus of an urgent push for a rescue."

If we use choice b, the sentence reads as:
"The insect faced declines in habitat, has now become the focus of an urgent rescue push"

This doesn't sound correct(run-on), hence B is incorrect. We need a conjuction to join the two parts of the sentence.

Choice C is the only one that has a conjunction.
"The insect faced declines in habitat, and now is the focus of an urgent push for a rescue"

Ans = c
The "famed for..." is modifier for the insect and "faced" is the main verb for the subject "Insect". So the other verb " is /has " should be connected via a conjunction. Got it now. I somehow missed the main verb "faced"