As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudim

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sense of vision, it would be rated about 20/500, or legally blind if it were an adult with such vision.

(A) As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sense of vision, it would be rated about 20/500, or legally blind if it were an adult with such vision.
(B) A baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sense of vision that would be rated about 20/500, or legally blind as an adult.
(C) As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb, its rudimentary sense of vision would be rated about 20/500; qualifying it to be legally blind if an adult.
(D) A baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sense of vision that would be rated about 20/500; an adult with such vision would be deemed legally blind.
(E) As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb, its rudimentary sense of vision, which would be deemed legally blind for an adult, would be rated about 20/500.

OA: D

P.S: I got this one right with ease. But would like to know the EXACT reason to eliminate option E.

@ Experts - could you please let me know which one of the following TWO reasons is accurate or whether BOTH of them are significant to eliminate option E?

1. is it because the TWO phrases rudimentary sense of vision and would be rated about 20/500 are NOT juxtaposed, resulting into distortion in the conveyed meaning ?

OR

2. is it because the antecedent of WHICH is ambiguous ?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by binit » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:49 am
Hi,

I can add what I thought while solving this prob. E has some issues:
1. It implies sense of vision would be deemed blind - not the intended meaning.
2. Cutting the fluff, we have: As a baby emerges, its vision would be rated about 20/500. The way this is written gives a sense of concurrence or causal relation between the baby's emergence and the rating of its vision. It's not intended to be so, I think.

I would also be waiting for the experts to reply.

~Binit.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:54 am
As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sense of vision, it would be rated about 20/500, or legally blind if it were an adult with such vision.

(A) As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sense of vision, it would be rated about 20/500, or legally blind if it were an adult with such vision.
(B) A baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sense of vision that would be rated about 20/500, or legally blind as an adult.
(C) As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb, its rudimentary sense of vision would be rated about 20/500; qualifying it to be legally blind if an adult.
(D) A baby emerges from the darkness of the womb with a rudimentary sense of vision that would be rated about 20/500; an adult with such vision would be deemed legally blind.
(E) As a baby emerges from the darkness of the womb, its rudimentary sense of vision, which would be deemed legally blind for an adult, would be rated about 20/500.

OA:D
A: As a baby emerges, it would be rated about 20/500...
Here, it (subject pronoun) seems to refer to a baby (the nearest preceding subject), implying that A BABY would be rated about 20/500.
The intended meaning is that the SENSE OF VISION would be rated about 20/500.
Eliminate A.

B: a rudimentary sense of vision that would be rated...legally blind as an adult.
Here, as an adult seems to refer to a sense of vision, implying that a SENSE OF VISION can function AS AN ADULT.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate B.

A semi-colon must serve to connect TWO COMPLETE CLAUSES, each with its own subject and verb.
In C, what follows the semi-colon is a modifier: qualifying it to be legally blind.
Eliminate C.

E: its rudimentary sense of vision, which would be deemed legally blind
Here, which seems to refer to its rudimentary sense of vision, implying that the SENSE OF VISION would be deemed LEGALLY BLIND.
Not the intended meaning.
Only a PERSON can be deemed legally blind.

The correct answer is D.

E: As a baby emerges, its rudimentary sense of vision...would be rated about 20/500.
Here, the implication is that the sense of vision WOULD BE RATED at the same time AS A BABY EMERGES.
Not the intended sequence.
Eliminate E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3