Profile Evaluation Request

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation Request

by rmselva » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:08 pm
I am Kumaran. I would like you to evaluate my profile.

GMAT score: 750(Q50, V42)
UG: 79% (Engineering, Anna University India)

Overall Experience:
6.5 years in Information Technology
Infosys Ltd.(5.5 yrs)-1 promotion, Senior Systems Engineer
Cognizant technology solutions(1 Year)-1 promotion, Senior Associate.

Credits:

College:

1. Student Chairman for my department.
2. Have presented 5 papers in reputed colleges.

Professional:

1. Won the REAP award in Infosys for leadership.
2. Won the FSI excellence award for project innovation.

Habit of leadership:

1. Have collected and distributed notebooks worth 3 million rupees for children in rural schools.
2. Using a program named "Become a Santa", I collected and distributed gifts to 5000 orphan kids for 4 years.
3. For past 5 years, has spent my weekends educating rural kids in English and Mathematics using a program named "Shiksha".

Infosys awarded me with "The Award of Excellence 2011"(The highest award in Infosys) for my Social Contributions.

I like to see myself in any of the top MBA programs.
Please throw some light on my chances.

Thanks and regards,
Kumaran.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:47 am
Hi Kumaran,
You have a lot of great things in your profile -- super GMAT, strong undergraduate institution, and your involvement in the community is commendable. Now, to make you truly competitive for top MBA programs, we need to see more leadership of others, more differentiation from other high-performers in your demographic pool, and more international exposure. Your leadership in the community seems to hinge largely on your own work, but leadership in b-school terms literally means leading OTHERS, and that's where I'd like to see more development. In the workplace, as a senior engineer, I assume you lead teams; that should be the first thing you discuss as an applicant.
Looking at your profile, I am seeing you competitive for top programs at the 15-30 level (using Bloomberg's lists as an example, but excluding NYU & Haas), where your GMAT will be above the median but your lack of international exposure will be less of a challenge to the admissions committee.

Moving forward, I'd want to see you develop a clear set of post-MBA goals, both short and long-term, and short-list some schools for which you would have a strong chance of acceptance. From there, it would be ideal for you to travel to the US to see each campus first-hand and get to know a few current and former students (I realize that this is not always a possibility, so I am speaking simply of best-case scenarios). In any case, having a clear sense of goals will help you identify which programs are best for you, and serve as a foundation for further research.

Hope this helps!
Margaret Strother
Stacy Blackman Consulting
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rmselva » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:12 am
Hi Margaret,

Thanks for your response. I will work on your suggestions.
Will reach you for further help.

Thanks and regards,
Kumaran.