verbal review 2 question

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

verbal review 2 question

by anksm22 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:07 am
The rising of costs of data-processing operations at many financial institutions has created a growing opportunity for independent companies to provide these services more efficiently and at lower cost.
(A) The rising of costs
(B) Rising costs
(C) The rising cost
(D) Because the rising cost
(E) Because of rising costs

In A what is the subject - the rising(singular) / the rising of costs (plural) .

According to me "the rising" is the subject which is singular . I eliminated it because of the meaning because the rising can not create opportunity for the independent companies. Therefore, it should be the rising cost . This makes sense. Am i right?[/b]

Followed by:3 members

by theCEO » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:43 pm
anksm22 wrote:The rising of costs of data-processing operations at many financial institutions has created a growing opportunity for independent companies to provide these services more efficiently and at lower cost.
(A) The rising of costs
(B) Rising costs
(C) The rising cost
(D) Because the rising cost
(E) Because of rising costs

In A what is the subject - the rising(singular) / the rising of costs (plural) .

According to me "the rising" is the subject which is singular . I eliminated it because of the meaning because the rising can not create opportunity for the independent companies. Therefore, it should be the rising cost . This makes sense. Am i right?[/b]
subject = the rising of costs which is singular

by anksm22 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:48 pm
how is that so?

If it is singular then what makes option A wrong?

Followed by:3 members

by theCEO » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:08 pm
anksm22 wrote:how is that so?

If it is singular then what makes option A wrong?
Option A is wrong because the phrase "rising of costs" is awkward and too wordy. Rising costs or rising cost are preferred.

Rising of costs is singular because we are looking at the word rising. How many risings were there? One rising.

This is similar to the sentence "one of the boys is/are absent". We look at the word before "of" to decide whether or not to use a singular verb.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by yashvardhan90 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:50 am
"Rising cost" will be the subject here rather than "The rising", rising is a modifier for cost. If rising is taken as a noun it would mean "rising" -> a revolt.
You can simply read the sentence it would sound awkward "The rising of costs of data operations".
Further
B. Rising costs is wrong because it is plural.
C. The rising cost -> correct

by anksm22 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:49 am
ach

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by kutlee » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:08 am
'The rising' has created is wrong meaning. 'The rising cost' has created is correct meaning.