Require some advice on taking online credit courses.

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi,

I wanted to take a couple of credit courses online to strengthen my application for B-Schools since my CGPA is slightly on the lower side. I was looking to complete one course in Statistics and another in some business related course (Finance/Accounting or Economics).
However, i'm not sure where to obtain these credit courses from.
Can someone please guide me ?

Regards,

Kaushik

GMAT Score:720

by Admit1MBA » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:06 am
Hi Kaushik,
It is a good sign that you have identified potential Adcom concerns about your profile and have started to address them. The earlier the better - you want to have some final grades to include in your application.
You want to take classes from established organization that have good standing and that will be respected by the schools. You should seek top schools from your country, or from other global intuitions. A lot depends on your budget and your time. I also suggest working hard on your GMAT score to show your academic aptitude.
Also, you don't need to take multiple classes - if you're applying to US or European schools, your GPA is not going to be adjusted based on these classes. Schools are only looking at them as an indication of your commitment to the process, and as a tool to evaluate your academic ability.

Best and good luck,
Yael, Admit1MBA
www.admit1mba.com

If you find my post helpful, please let me know by pushing the thank button.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:07 pm
Kaushik,

The usual suspects are available on popular websites such as coursera.org. You can also check out mysliderule.com. I usually suggest taking the courses from pedigree global schools - helps in credibility as well as learning content

Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:25 pm
Kaushik,

What is most important is getting an A; the specific institution at which you take the class is secondary. However, you might look to see if your target business schools offer the class online as part of their executive education offerings. If so, then you can take the course there.

If you did badly in Calculus as an undergraduate (and especially if your quantitative aptitude test score is low), then you will want to prioritize Calculus.

Good luck,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:31 am
If you're looking to build an alternative profile, generally stay away from Coursera. Look to an established program - think UCLA or Berkeley extension, for example. Coursera is just recently getting traction and even then not for base subjects. It's more there to demonstrate commitment to interests rather than correct a low GPA!

(Good job starting this early!)

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by cruzerkk » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:01 pm
Thanks for all your replies. Really appreciate it. :)

I did take a look at the extension courses offered by some of the universities, but they're slightly on the more expensive side.
I also found the following two :

1) Straighterline at https://www.straighterline.com/mat150xxm ... 001-b.html
2) Universal Class at https://www.universalclass.com/i/course/ ... cs-101.htm

They both cost around $120. Would be really helpful if someone could take a look at these courses and suggest.

Thanks,
Kaushik