verbal review 2 question

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

verbal review 2 question

by anksm22 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:07 am
Native to South America, when peanuts were introduced to Africa by Portuguese explorers early in the sixteenth
century they were quickly adopted into Africa's agriculture. probably because of being so similar to the
Bambarra groundnut, a popular indigenous plant.

(A) when peanuts were introduced to Africa by Portuguese explorers early in the sixteenth century they were quickly adopted into Africa's agriculture, probably because of being

(B) peanuts having been introduced to Africa by Portuguese explorers early in the sixteenth century and quickly adopted into Africa's agriculture, probably because of being

(C) peanuts were introduced to Africa by Portuguese explorers early in the sixteenth century and were quickly adopted into Africa's agriculture, probably because they were

(D) peanuts, introduced to Africa by Portuguese explorers early in the sixteenth century and quickly adopted into Africa's agriculture, probably because they were

(E) peanuts, introduced to Africa by Portuguese explorers early in the sixteenth century and having been quickly adopted into Africa's agriculture, probably because they were

Though I got the right answer, I want to know what does "they" in option C refers to? - explorers or peanuts

Followed by:3 members

by theCEO » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:03 pm
anksm22 wrote:Native to South America, when peanuts were introduced to Africa by Portuguese explorers early in the sixteenth century they were quickly adopted into Africa's agriculture. probably because of being so similar to the Bambarra groundnut, a popular indigenous plant.

(C) peanuts were introduced to Africa by Portuguese explorers early in the sixteenth century and were quickly adopted into Africa's agriculture, probably because they were

Though I got the right answer, I want to know what does "they" in option C refers to? - explorers or peanuts
They refers to peanuts. They can be used for any plural noun and not necessarily for persons only.

Followed by:1 members

by anksm22 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:12 pm
Thanks a lot .

But then it should be ambiguous and hence , not the correct answer.

Followed by:3 members

by theCEO » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:18 pm
anksm22 wrote:Thanks a lot .

Good point but ambiguous is not all that we are after! We want to find the best answer first. Through process of elimination we can eliminate the ones that are absolutely wrong. In other words, it is better to have an ambiguous sentence that it is to have an incorrect sentence.

Please note that Bambarra groundnut is compared to something. That something could be peanut or the explorers. We can eliminate the explores because it would not be parallel. Therefore with reasoning, we can see why the sentence is not ambiguous.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:44 pm
Note that when a pronoun is the subject of a clause, the most logical antecedent is often the subject of the previous clause. "Peanuts" is the subject of the clause, "Peanuts were introduced..." and "they" is the subject of the following clause "they were so similar..."

Native to South America, peanuts were introduced to Africa by Portuguese explorers early in the sixteenth century and were quickly adopted into Africa's agriculture, probably because they were so similar to the Bambarra groundnut, a popular indigenous plant.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:32 am
anksm22 wrote:Thanks a lot .

Pronoun ambiguity is a low-priority error.
If an answer choice includes a pronoun that seems ambiguous, eliminate the answer choice only if one of the other answer choices avoids the ambiguity and is free of errors.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3