Those who come to church with a predisposition to religious

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
Those who come to church with a predisposition to religious belief will be happy in an auditorium or even a storefront, and there is no doubt that religion is sometimes better served by adapted spaces of this kind instead of by some of the buildings actually designed for it.

(A) adapted spaces of this kind instead of by some of the buildings actually designed for it
(B) adapted spaces like these rather than some of the buildings actually designed for them
(C) these adapted spaces instead of by some of the buildings actually designed for it
(D) such adapted spaces rather than by some of the buildings actually designed for them
(E) such adapted spaces than by some of the buildings actually designed for it

OA: E

P.S: I got this one right with no issue. But I've a question to clarify for option D.Had D been - such adapted spaces rather than by some of the buildings actually designed for IT - would it have been a correct option on its own ?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by prachi18oct » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:42 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:Those who come to church with a predisposition to religious belief will be happy in an auditorium or even a storefront, and there is no doubt that religion is sometimes better served by adapted spaces of this kind instead of by some of the buildings actually designed for it.

(A) adapted spaces of this kind instead of by some of the buildings actually designed for it
(B) adapted spaces like these rather than some of the buildings actually designed for them
(C) these adapted spaces instead of by some of the buildings actually designed for it
(D) such adapted spaces rather than by some of the buildings actually designed for them

P.S: I got this one right with no issue. But I've a question to clarify for option D.Had D been - such adapted spaces rather than by some of the buildings actually designed for IT - would it have been a correct option on its own ?
I think still it wouldn't be correct due to construction "rather than by".
It would be fine if it were such adapted spaces rather than some of the buildings actually designed for it.

Experts please shed some light.

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:48 am
prachi18oct wrote:
RBBmba@2014 wrote:Those who come to church with a predisposition to religious belief will be happy in an auditorium or even a storefront, and there is no doubt that religion is sometimes better served by adapted spaces of this kind instead of by some of the buildings actually designed for it.

I think still it wouldn't be correct due to construction "rather than by".
It would be fine if it were such adapted spaces rather than some of the buildings actually designed for it.

Experts please shed some light.
In D, the use of the word rather does not make sense.

In prachi18oct's version, partly because by is left out, there is a parallelism issue because by such adapted spaces is compared with buildings actually designed.

Look at this simple sentence. You need by in both places for the sentence to make sense.

Religion is better served by this than by that.

An alternative version would include the understood it is.

Religion is better served by this than it is by that.

If you leave out the second by the clause almost seems to compare religion and buildings.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:58 pm
RBBmba@2014 wrote: P.S: I got this one right with no issue. But I've a question to clarify for option D.Had D been - such adapted spaces rather than by some of the buildings actually designed for IT - would it have been a correct option on its own ?
Your proposed revision of D:
Religion is sometimes better served by such adapted spaces rather than by some of the buildings.
This sentence is not viable: rather cannot be used in conjunction with a comparative such as better.
Incorrect: X is better served by Y rather than by Z.
Correct: X is better served by Y than by Z.
Correct: X is served by Y rather than by Z.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3