GMAT Newbie 580GMAT Prep 2 months until the real thing

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello All,

I am normally don't post in forums so forgive me if my forum etiquette is a little off at times. I apologize. I have recently decided to take the GMAT. With almost no preparation and a whirlwind of frustration I completed the GMAT Prep Test 1. I received a 580 (Q36, V33, IR7), needless to say not a stellar score to begin with. I plan to take the test in about sixty days time. I have access to Magoosh's GMAT prep website, the Official Guide, as well as some MGMAT prep books that I was able to pick up.

Upon review of some of the test questions I have noticed a couple of things. 1) I definitely need to brush up on basic math. I found myself struggling with simple order of operations and rules of triangles and other things that I need to dust off. In essence making simple mistakes that I know cost me dear points. 2) Data Sufficiency is a definite weakness that I need to further my understanding on. 3) Taking the test while trying to watching the Finals probably not conducive to a good score. 4) The sentence correction needs some work. 5) Room for improvement in all areas, particularly my embarrassing Quant score. It seems as if the general consensus is to study 2-3hrs/day with about 5-6 on the weekend with a day off. Is this generally a good strategy to follow?

A little background on me. I completed my degree in Economics with a 3.6 from a state school in California while on Active Duty. I am looking to score in the 700s (Isn't everyone). In regards to schools that have piqued my interest, I will say that I that I have not done enough research yet to make an intelligent choices.

Any help in regards to a decent study plan and ways to improve besides good old-fashioned hard work, I am all ears (or eyes in this case).

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am
Honestly, a 580 on your first test is a strong starting point, particularly since you took that test cold. And all of your areas of concern are universal shortcomings for test-takers just starting out. It takes a little time to relearn all the rules and equations that we haven't really used since ninth grade math. It takes some time to internalize the principles that Sentence Correction is testing. Data Sufficiency is a struggle for everyone at first. It sounds as though you have a good plan.

(And here's a free Sentence Correction lesson, if you're interested: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/free-gmat-lesson/)

Just make sure that you're taking about a practice test a week, that you thoroughly review each practice test before taking the next one, and that you make notes about what you can improve on before the next one.

Keep us posted on your progress...
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:14 pm
I agree with the post above that you're in a good starting position, and you should definitely make a lot of progress with good preparation. Your highest priority now should be to review the basics of math (how to work with fractions and ratios, how to solve simple equations, etc) since that's a prerequisite for everything else. Once you have a solid foundation, then work systematically through each Quant topic until you feel comfortable. There is no substitute for the 'good old fashioned hard work' you mention if you're aiming for a 700+ score - if you come across any prep company that claims to teach 'tricks to beat the test', that company won't help you get to a 700.

Regular work is important, but for many people, there's no reason to spend more than about two hours per day - it can become hard to take in new things after working that long. You'll know better than anyone else how much time you can usefully spend studying, but don't waste time studying if you're not able to learn. And you should take the occasional day off, so you don't burn out, and to give your brain time to process what you've been reviewing.

I don't personally think there's any reason to take additional practice tests until you've finished the bulk of your content review. You need to learn the material first, and until you do, test results aren't meaningful.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by yearzack » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:19 pm
Thank you very much for the insight. I actually took one of the six MGMAT tests and received a 610 (Q38, V35). I decided on taking another diagnostic test 1) to get a better idea of where my baseline score was at 2) To see how the test questions differed between sources 3) I haven't received developed a hard study plan and did not want to waste the day.

I have recently signed up for the BeattheGMAT 60-day study guide, however I have yet to see an email. Would you guys recommend any particular study plan or just work my way through the OG and MGMAT books?

All The Best,
Yearzack

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:14 am
Hi yearzack,

These first two CAT scores are really good 'baseline' scores (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). As you continue to take practice CATs, you should make sure to take the FULL CAT (including the Essay and IR sections) and take it under test-like conditions (away from your home, at the same time of day as your Official GMAT, etc.).

For some free math help/practice, I suggest Khan Academy (www.khanacademy.edu) - the site is free and the lessons have more of a 'game-like' feel to them (and less of a dry, academic presentation).

While commitment to the task and hard work are both big parts of the process, you should remember that GMAT questions can typically be solved in more than one way. Thus, beyond knowing the essential academic subjects (math formulas, grammar rules, etc.), you would benefit greatly by learning tactical approaches to questions. In real basic terms, having a flexible way of thinking and the ability to approach prompts using various tactics can improve your chances at hitting your score goals.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]