grammatical Q

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

grammatical Q

by mehrasa » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:38 am
A frightening storm has been lashing South Padre Island, fD.mng Natalie and Todd to postpone
their wedding.

according to MGMAT this sentence is correct... my Q is that why we can not use simple past in underlined portion of sentence?

Followed by:6 members

by gunjan1208 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:58 am
Very legitimate. I would also ask so. Destroyers, titans?

Thank you!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by shraddha jaiswal » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:55 am
A frightening storm has been lashing South Padre Island.

This sentence means that South Padre Island is facing frightening storm for some time now. It is a recurring event. The use of present perfect continuous limits the duration of the event. That is, from the sentence, we know for sure that South Padre Island is facing the problem of the storm for some time now. But the storm may stop in future. It may not continue forever.

For example: The sun rises in the east. This is a universal truth. There is no way that sun can ever rise from any other direction in coming days. So, simple present is used to state that this action cannot be altered. The moment we say, The sun has been rising form the east, it will mean that so far the sun rises in the East, but in future, it may rise from west or north, or for that matter any direction.

Coming back to our sentence, if we say: A frightening storm lashes South Padre Island, this will mean that this event cannot be altered. South Padre Island is and will always be lashed by frightening storm. The statement becomes a universal truth. This changes the meaning od the statement.

So, the use of present perfect limits the scope of continuation of an event. It is used for events that may change in the future.
Thanks.

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:43 am
mehrasa wrote:A frightening storm has been lashing South Padre Island, fD.mng Natalie and Todd to postpone
their wedding.

according to MGMAT this sentence is correct... my Q is that why we can not use simple past in underlined portion of sentence?
because if we use simple past i.e lashed instead of has been lashing then it will no more mean that the frightening storm is still there and there is no use of postponing the wedding............has been lashing means the action is still taking place and you don't know about the immediate future till what time it will take and therefore, makes sense for postponing the wedding

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by Nidhi4mba » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:45 am
Simple past would have worked in such a scenario:

A frightening storm lashed South Padre Island and forced Natalie and Todd to postpone
their wedding.

Since we have.."forcing Natalie and..." , it means it is still forcing them to postpone their wedding..

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Yihan31 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:35 pm
One more Q here:
How about this one? Is it right?
A frightening storm is lashing SP island, forcing N and T to postpone their wedding.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by bonetlobo » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:19 am
Another related question I had was that what's the difference between these sentences:

a) Clark has been owned a car since he turned 18

b) Clark has been owning a car since he turned 18

Is there a meaning difference?

Followed by:3 members

by theCEO » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:42 am
Another related question I had was that what's the difference between these sentences:

b) Clark has been owning a car since he turned 18

Is there a meaning difference?
Sentence sounds incorrect.

has been + verb+ing - present perfect particle
has been + owning is the correct format.