Eager and Energetic but still failing

Have suggestions to improve this community?
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Eager and Energetic but still failing

by Jackster24 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:13 pm
I've been on the GMAT journey since Mid April of 2015 and I have gone from very hopeful to a little depressed after my last CAT exam.

I need some help guys! I've been reading tons of success stories and I have been able to stay motivated but I am in need for suggestions on how to improve.

Let's start with some background...Born in the States, Undergrad degree in Finance from a California State University. Currently in Management Consulting (Gov't/Defense side). My quest is to obtain a 700+ to apply for R1 Fall 2016. Currently enrolled in Manhattan Prep in-person course (just wrapped up week 8).

My diagnostic test came in at 460 (Q23,V30)(taken mid April), wasn't surprised but I was excited to learn and achieve my goal.

The Manhattan course is going well, studying anywhere from 12-18 hours a week (1.5-2.5 hrs on weekdays, 4 hrs per day on weekends). Understanding the material just fine but applying on actual questions is tough. I also tend to make A TON of careless errors.

CAT 2 (Late May) 430 (Q25, V23)...I was pretty devastated by this. Almost lost complete hope. Picked myself up from the ground, dusted off and got back to work.

Started to work with a private tutor as well to supplement the MGMAT course and got a subscription to EmpowerGMAT. I review flashcards everyday when I take a step away from work and get lunch. I'm also using an error log to track mistakes on OG questions...still not seeing results.

Everyone around me seems to be improving except me...First attempt of the real thing will be early August. Any suggestions on how to improve? even a simple "keep up the work" will help me get through it at this point:/

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Jackster24

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:52 pm
At this point, I've lost count of the number of students I've had who have expressed concern after CAT 2 or 3 that they weren't making progress, and then ended up scoring 700+. It often takes a few tests before you start seeing improvement in your scores. The important thing is focus on process. Review your old practice tests. Make notes about what you can improve on next time. Review those notes. Know that progress isn't necessarily linear. And most important, stay with it!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Jackster24 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:50 am
Thanks for the response David. I will be keeping my head down and powering through!