First Steps

Share feedback about this free GMAT prep guide
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

First Steps

by Bullzi » Sat May 30, 2015 11:02 am
Hello!

Just a quick introduction, I had recently planned to take up the 60 day preparation challenge. Having spent 10+ years working, I had forgotten most if not all(!) math concepts. I am day 3 today and am composing this post just to motivate myself and probably as another way of tracking my progress

I took my first practice test today, I wasn't expecting anything other than a disaster given the fact that I had no preparation whatsoever. Since the test was long, I had issues focusing, nevertheless, I was excited taking my first ever GMAT test. My score was a poor 510. The scaled numbers had my scores at 29 for Math and 31 for Verbal

Now, just a few of quick questions. 1. Do I just capture my scaled scores (since there isn't a way to track individual questions) in the improvement chart? 2. I am curious if my first test score indicates anything, if it does at all 3. I had issues focusing on the questions during the test. I had experienced similar problems when I was preparing too. Any creative suggestions on making my brain focus better!? I appreciate all help.

Thanks!
Bullzi

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Sat May 30, 2015 4:06 pm
Bullzi wrote:
I am curious if my first test score indicates anything, if it does at all.
Your first score basically correlates with what you said, you don't really remember the quant stuff and you haven't prepared much.

It also indicates pretty much where you stand. How much more work you need to do depends on a few things, including your target score.

The value of that first test maybe lies less in the score and more in the insight in you can get into what you need to work on. For instance, now you can go through the quant section and note what you kind of knew how to do, what you can do but not very fast and what you are relatively clueless about. Then as you are preparing you can focus on increasing your skill in handling things that you are pretty sure will show up on the test and that you are not all that good at.

Verbal you can handle in a similar way, assessing the test and what you need to get better at to increase your score.

Each time you get better at handling something that will likely show up on the test you are increasing your expected score.
Bullzi wrote:
I had issues focusing on the questions during the test. I had experienced similar problems when I was preparing too. Any creative suggestions on making my brain focus better!?
Regarding focus, one thing you can do is just press on when you notice yourself not focusing. I mean people get so worried about the fact that they are not focusing that they then get distracted by the worrying about not focusing. Obviously that does not work out. So instead, if you start losing focus, just find something to work on. If you are working on a quant question, find something to do. Maybe start manipulating an equation or start considering ways of handling a problem. If you are working on a verbal question, find a way to attack it. Maybe start eliminating answer choices. Get into the problem somehow, and you will forget about losing focus and become involved in finding the answer.

Also, let's face it. You have only just started preparing. Soon, doing the questions will become more normal for you and it will be easier to just keep at it. You could seek to ensure that this happens by doing longish practice sessions, gauging how well you are doing at focusing, and aiming for a certain consistent degree of focus and intensity.

Finally, in a way maintaining focus is often less about "making" your "brain focus better", and more about letting yourself focus. Who is stopping you from focusing? You. You are distracting yourself. Instead just let yourself stay in the zone.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

by Bullzi » Sun May 31, 2015 7:07 am
Thanks Marty for your response! As far as focus goes, you are right, I guess I'll just try enjoying the ride!

Thanks!
Bullzi

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun May 31, 2015 9:49 am
Hey Bullzi,

510 is a very solid baseline score (some people get 510 after months of preparation).
When you take subsequent practice tests, you'll have a good idea of your score trajectory.

Yes, just enter your scaled (and total) scores in the improvement chart.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Legendary Member

by MartyMurray » Sun May 31, 2015 10:31 am
Yes, enjoy the ride. Play the test like a game.

Might as well.

I used to fist pump when I got right answers in under two minutes.

Like, "Oh YEAH!!!"
Marty Murray
MartyMurrayCoaching.com

by Bullzi » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:08 pm
Hello..

After close to a week's study, I noticed that though my problem solving scores look alright, my DS section's scores look relatively (extremely) low. Just to give an idea, my practice scores on problem solving were over 85%, but, for the same math sections, the DS scores were just half of my problem solving scores. I was wondering if this issue was unique to just me or it was normal. I have made sure I captured all my DS scores on the improvement sheet

What do you suggest would be a good way to address this weakness? Does the 60 day guide revisit old sections to address issues or practice same questions again..?

Thanks,
Bullzi

Legendary Member

by MartyMurray » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:01 pm
Bullzi wrote:Hello..

After close to a week's study, I noticed that though my problem solving scores look alright, my DS section's scores look relatively (extremely) low. Just to give an idea, my practice scores on problem solving were over 85%, but, for the same math sections, the DS scores were just half of my problem solving scores. I was wondering if this issue was unique to just me or it was normal. I have made sure I captured all my DS scores on the improvement sheet

What do you suggest would be a good way to address this weakness? Does the 60 day guide revisit old sections to address issues or practice same questions again..?

Thanks,
Bullzi
That's normal. While DS is all logical, most people have not done questions of that type before. So most people start off scoring a little lower on DS. Then later people often find DS to be no more difficult than problem solving, or even find DS to be a little easier, as often one does not have to calculate all the way to an answer to get the right answer to a DS question.

My way of getting better at DS is to do a bunch of them in a row. One way to do this is by setting up a Veritas account and hitting the DS side of the question bank. Within a few days to a week you could get pretty comfortable with DS that way. The 60 day guide does have review times worked in, but why wait? You already know this is something you need to work on. Each day you could just do whatever you were going to do anyway, and add in some DS questions. Soon they would be more or less second nature.
Marty Murray
MartyMurrayCoaching.com

by Bullzi » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:39 am
Then later people often find DS to be no more difficult than problem solving, or even find DS to be a little easier
I hope that becomes true with me as well. Right now, am feeling a tad uneasy handling DS questions. I hope its only a matter of time before I start feeling normal about DS
Soon they would be more or less second nature
That's encouraging. Ill also look at what Veritas has to offer. Thank You!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:03 am
Bullzi wrote: Does the 60 day guide revisit old sections to address issues or practice same questions again..?
The last 18 days of the Guide are devoted to identifying and strengthening areas of weakness. So, you will have time to work on DS questions.

Keep in mind that EVERYONE struggles with Data Sufficiency (DS) questions at first. This question type is unique to the GMAT, so it's totally foreign territory.

We have a free set of 16 videos that cover everything you need to know to tackle DS questions: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-data-sufficiency

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Legendary Member

by MartyMurray » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:52 pm
As Brent said, toward the end of the 60 day guide, you have days for working on weak areas.

Here's another thought though. This DS thing is bugging you now. You are motivated to work on it now.

Might make sense to work on it NOW.

That's what I usually did and it kept me so motivated.

I mean, let's say I was really curious about probability. Ok, that meant that day and maybe the next I would be working on probability.

Then, if I were freaked out by sequence questions, hey, time to work on sequence questions.

Whatever I was motivated to work on, I worked on that.

Yes, I guess you want to make sure to cover all the stuff that the guide suggests working on.

Still, that strategy worked really well for me, and maybe somehow incorporating it into what you are doing would work for you.
Marty Murray
MartyMurrayCoaching.com