Need help with which colleges to apply to - GMAT 750

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi Guys,

This is my first post here. Need help with selecting my schools. Here's my profile in short :
GMAT - 750
TOEFL - Score Awaited
5 years plus professional experience
Currently working as a Software Consultant in an IT Start Up.
Engineering Graduate.

I plan apply both in India and abroad.
For India, I have planned for ISB and IIM A.
For Europe, I think I will apply to HEC, Manheim and SDA Bocconi
I am not sure about US but I guess I will apply to a few colleges ranked between 15 to 25.

For schools outside India, I can only afford if I can manage a scholarship.

Can anyone please tell me if something is wrong with my selection. Any suggestions, alterations will help.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Sun May 31, 2015 5:57 am
Hi Soham,

Congrats for scoring 750 on GMAT. You have decent profile with solid GMAT and work ex you can also look at applying to NUS, NTU, HKUST,US 1 year MBA programs. Mannheim and SDA Bocconi I guess will be safe options based on your profile. You can try our Chances of B-school tool by clicking here https://goo.gl/bQqCby

Regards
Manish
Director (ISB Alumnus)
General Education - India's premier GMAT & Application Consulting company

Get Advice: +91- 90350 50056 | Email Us: [email protected]

by soham_dutta » Sun May 31, 2015 6:20 am
Thanks for your valuable feedback. I think I will opt more for safer options due to my financial constraints. Also, can anyone let me know which school in US has a decent 1 year MBA ranked within the top 30 and where I have a chance of obtaining a scholarship.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Mansie Dewan Consulting » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:33 am
soham_dutta wrote:Thanks for your valuable feedback. I think I will opt more for safer options due to my financial constraints. Also, can anyone let me know which school in US has a decent 1 year MBA ranked within the top 30 and where I have a chance of obtaining a scholarship.
Soham,

What was your UG percentage/CGPA?

There are many top ranked b-schools in the US, which routinely award hefty scholarships, sometimes amounting to full tuition fee waivers with stipends. This way, the schools get to attract high potential applicants with excellent academics, work experiences and backgrounds. Also, a 2 year program is a better bet because of the internship opportunity which increases the probability of getting a full time job offer. In order to make more accurate suggestions, I will need to know a lot more about your work experience, accomplishments and goals but these schools can serve as an excellent starting point for your research ( in no particular order and presuming you want to stay in the same industry):

1. Indiana Kelley
2. Tepper
3. University of Maryland, College Park Smith
4. Texas Mays
5. Indiana Kelley
7. ASU Carey
8. Georgia Tech, Scheller

Good Luck!!
Mansie Dewan

by soham_dutta » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:19 am
Hi Mansie,

My percentage in BE was 75%. 12th - 81%, 10th - 75%.
I topped my Stream (Instrumentation Engineeering).

I have a total work experience of 5 years.
The first 2 have been with TCS as a Software Developer.
The last 3 with iCreat Software, a technology startup, as a Senior Consultant. References should not be a problem.
I also have been constantly awarded the highest performance rating over the last 3 years.

I would like to apply to European Colleges like HEC, SDA Bocconi and Manheim considering the fact that even if I don't score a scholarship, the fees are considerably lower. Also, most of the european programs are 1 year long. My choice of one year mba program comes from the fact that I have a family to look after and staying away from work for more than one year would be difficult.

by Mansie Dewan Consulting » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:33 pm
soham_dutta wrote:Hi Mansie,

My percentage in BE was 75%. 12th - 81%, 10th - 75%.
I topped my Stream (Instrumentation Engineeering).

I have a total work experience of 5 years.
The first 2 have been with TCS as a Software Developer.
The last 3 with iCreat Software, a technology startup, as a Senior Consultant. References should not be a problem.
I also have been constantly awarded the highest performance rating over the last 3 years.

I would like to apply to European Colleges like HEC, SDA Bocconi and Manheim considering the fact that even if I don't score a scholarship, the fees are considerably lower. Also, most of the european programs are 1 year long. My choice of one year mba program comes from the fact that I have a family to look after and staying away from work for more than one year would be difficult.

Thank you for the clarification. Family responsibilities come first. :) You should apply to these colleges that you mention; and you stand an excellent chance of getting admits.
Mansie Dewan

by soham_dutta » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:06 am
Thanks Mansie,

Any other college in Europe or elsewhere you think I should apply to? Basically it should have decent 1 year program, should be well ranked like HEC and should have reasonable fees/scholarship options.

by Mansie Dewan Consulting » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:28 am
soham_dutta wrote:Thanks Mansie,

Any other college in Europe or elsewhere you think I should apply to? Basically it should have decent 1 year program, should be well ranked like HEC and should have reasonable fees/scholarship options.
Soham,

You can look up Oxford Said, Cambridge Judge, London Business School, ESADE and ESMT.
Mansie Dewan

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:31 am
soham_dutta wrote:Thanks for your valuable feedback. I think I will opt more for safer options due to my financial constraints. Also, can anyone let me know which school in US has a decent 1 year MBA ranked within the top 30 and where I have a chance of obtaining a scholarship.
Hi Soham,

You can consider applying to Emory, Rice, Rochester Simon in US for 1 year MBA. Also if you are looking at Canadian B-schools then consider applying to Ivey, Queens, Rotman and Schulich.

Regards
Manish
Director (ISB Alumnus)
General Education - India's premier GMAT & Application Consulting company

Get Advice: +91- 90350 50056 | Email Us: [email protected]