The anthology Georgian Poetry

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

The anthology Georgian Poetry

by hemant_rajput » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:35 am

The anthology Georgian Poetry was named to give the impression that the contents were as contemporary as the newly installed king, George V, but by selecting
rather conventional poets, the term Georgian came to have the opposite connotation.

a. The anthology Georgian Poetry was named to give the impression that the contents were as contemporary as the newly installed king, George V, but by selecting

b. The anthology Georgian Poetry was named to give the impression that the contents were as contemporary as George V, the newly installed king, but by selecting

c. The anthology Georgian Poetry was named to give the impression that the contents were as contemporary as the newly installed king, George V, but because of the selection of

d. The anthology Georgian Poetry was named to give the impression that the contents were as contemporary as that of the newly installed king, George V, but the selection of

e. The anthology Georgian Poetry, named to give the impression that the contents were as contemporary as the newly installed king, George V, but by selecting

OA:C

[spoiler]
My doubt is that isn't OA is comparing content with Person, King George V ? [/spoiler]
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:38 pm
hemant_rajput wrote:
The anthology Georgian Poetry was named to give the impression that the contents were as contemporary as the newly installed king, George V, but by selecting
rather conventional poets, the term Georgian came to have the opposite connotation.

a. The anthology Georgian Poetry was named to give the impression that the contents were as contemporary as the newly installed king, George V, but by selecting

b. The anthology Georgian Poetry was named to give the impression that the contents were as contemporary as George V, the newly installed king, but by selecting

c. The anthology Georgian Poetry was named to give the impression that the contents were as contemporary as the newly installed king, George V, but because of the selection of

d. The anthology Georgian Poetry was named to give the impression that the contents were as contemporary as that of the newly installed king, George V, but the selection of

e. The anthology Georgian Poetry, named to give the impression that the contents were as contemporary as the newly installed king, George V, but by selecting
A, B, and E: by selecting rather conventional poets, the term Georgian came to have the opposite connotation.
Here, by selecting seems to refer to the term Georgian, implying that THE TERM GEORGIAN was SELECTING rather conventional poets.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate A, B and E.

D: that of the newly installed king
Here, that lacks a clear antecedent.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is C.

C: to give the impression that the contents were as contemporary as the newly installed king
Here, contemporary serves to mean modern.
It is possible for the CONTENTS of an anthology to be considered modern.
It is possible for a KING to be considered modern.
Thus, the comparison here seems logical:
What impression did the name try to give?
That the contents were as modern as the king was modern.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by GilBY12 » Fri May 29, 2015 1:40 am
c. The anthology Georgian Poetry was named to give the impression that the contents were as contemporary as the newly installed king, George V, but because of the selection of rather conventional poets, the term Georgian came to have the opposite connotation.

just to better understand the structure, the orange part is not a fragment?
after a "because" there should be a subordinate clause (a subject and a verb) and here there is no verb:
"because of the selection of rather conventional poets",....

can someone please help me understand it better?

thank you

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri May 29, 2015 5:29 am
GilBY12 wrote:c. The anthology Georgian Poetry was named to give the impression that the contents were as contemporary as the newly installed king, George V, but because of the selection of rather conventional poets, the term Georgian came to have the opposite connotation.

just to better understand the structure, the orange part is not a fragment?
after a "because" there should be a subordinate clause (a subject and a verb) and here there is no verb:
"because of the selection of rather conventional poets",....

can someone please help me understand it better?

thank you
A preposition such as of cannot be followed by a clause.
It can be followed only by a noun or a noun phrase.

For this reason, because + of can be followed only be A NOUN OR A NOUN PHRASE.
However, because + NOUN must serve to introduce a CLAUSE.

Correct: The game was cancelled BECAUSE OF A FLOOD.
Here, because + of is followed by a NOUN (flood).

Correct: The game was cancelled BECAUSE THE STADIUM WAS FLOODED.
Here, because + NOUN serves to introduce a CLAUSE (the stadium was flooded).
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3