low score on second attempt

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

low score on second attempt

by gmat_guy666 » Thu May 28, 2015 4:29 am
Hello , I scored 580 in the first attempt and 510 in the second. However, I reported the 2nd score and sent it out to the school I was targeting . I have already submitted the application by mentioning 580 score ( couple of days back) , but I sent the latest score to the school thinking that they will pick the best . Will they get to see my old score ?
Also, did I commit a blunder by submitting the bad score ? I am more confused and worried now . Kindly assist.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Thu May 28, 2015 8:57 am
If you didn't cancel the 580 score, then it will be on your score report that schools see, at least as long as it's not from many years ago. Schools see an entire history of your GMAT attempts from the last five years. Schools can have differing policies when test takers have taken the GMAT more than once, but it's usually the case that schools only look at the highest score. So it's likely your target school will consider you a 580-scorer when looking at your application.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Rich@EconomistGMAT » Thu May 28, 2015 10:39 am
Hi gmat_guy666,

While business schools will see a history of your GMAT scores, I'm curious to know if you're planning on taking the exam another time. Most test takers attempt the GMAT at least twice, but a third attempt is not uncommon either. If so, I'm curious to know more about how you've prepared previously and how you plan to prepare this go around.

Best,
Rich