Time to book GMAT exam appointment?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:730

Time to book GMAT exam appointment?

by radbuz » Sun May 24, 2015 12:22 am
Hi,

I have been preparing seriously for the GMAT for the last 3 months (I study only on weekends). I gave my 1st GMAT prep test about one and a half months back. I scored 700 on this test (Q49,V36) . At that stage I was inefficient (sometimes lazy) on the quant section and was conceptually lacking in the verbal section , especially in CR and SC. I thank some of the coaches out here, who pointed me to the right resources , which helped me fine tune my exam strategy and bridge some of the conceptual gaps.

After 3 more weeks of intense prep, I decided to visit the nearest Princeton Review center and took a mock test in test like conditions. I scored 710 (Q51,V38) . I experienced utmost ease on the quant section, thanks to the timed practice sessions on the Veritas prep site. On the verbal front, I started feeling much more comfortable on the SC questions but still struggled on CR.Also, timing on the verbal section remained an issue.

I retook the GMATPrep exam today. I scored a 760 (Q50,V42) on it. Although, I'm extremely satisfied that my efforts over the past few months are starting to yield dividends, I'm not sure if I'm ready to take the GMAT in July this year.

I took today's test in nearly test center like conditions. However, I did find a few repeat questions (7-8) on both quant and verbal sections. The good thing from my perspective was that I hadn't reviewed my previous GMATPrep test. So, I was totally unaware of the correct answers and was forced to solve each problem. Based on the above background of my prep so far could someone help me with the answers to the following questions?

1. Am I ready to take the test in July? I'm aiming for a 740+ score
2. If I'm ready, what should I focus on in terms of prep over the next 1.5-2 months?

Thanks,
Nikhil

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sun May 24, 2015 4:18 am
Though the 760 is likely a bit inflated from the repeat questions, I don't see any downside for you taking the test in July.

Some advice for your last 4-6 weeks of prep: if you haven't already done so, pick up this additional official material (the practice tests will give you a better indication of whether you really are at the 740+ level) https://www.mba.com/us/store/store-catal ... ction.aspx

Then add some mindfulness meditation to your regimen for a score boost: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi ... on/275564/

The goal is to average a 740+ on the final two practice tests and then duplicate the performance on the real thing.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun May 24, 2015 8:47 am
Hi radbuz,

Given your recent scores, a 740+ score is certainly attainable (you could potentially be scoring at that level right now). As you score higher and higher though, the GMAT becomes more 'sensitive' to little/silly mistakes, so the issue now is really the precision in your work, practice and attitude.

There's also a 'reality' to Test Day that has to be taken seriously during practice. How many of the details that will be a part of YOUR Test Day do you really know? Have you incorporated these same details into how you take your CATs? Again, the little things matter and if any of them throw you "off" on Test Day, then your score will likely be impacted.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Sun May 24, 2015 3:45 pm
Hi Nikhil,

A few quick thoughts:

1) I wouldn't trust the "760" on the PR exam for all the money in the world. PR is a fine company, but is sort of in that "Kaplan"-land of middle-of-the-road GMAT prep. They do have excellent tutors, but however they score their practice CATs, it is NOT how the official exam is scored. I

I wouldn't be shocked if you took a different test prep company's CAT today (let's say a MGMAT), and scored a 680 or 690. Don't trust the scores of private company's CATs!! Treat them as the valuable diagnostic tools they are. Which brings me to...

2) I am VERY concerned by your statement, "I hadn't reviewed my previous GMATPrep test." WHAT?! Why? Sorry to be so emphatic, but a strong dedication to your own thorough review of EVERY SINGLE INCORRECT QUESTION is the #1 to improve your GMAT score. You need to get inside your own head, and inside the test-makers heads, and understanding what types of questions you miss the most often, what types of concepts you miss the most often, and (most importantly) why. By not doing a proper Error Log for your GMATPrep 1, you didn't get any value out of it except for the experience of taking it. It was, IMO, a waste.

I attached a sample Error Log that you can use. Be sure to fill it out after EVERY SINGLE CAT YOU TAKE, then sit back and draw your own conclusions from it. What needs to be adjusted? What strategies just aren't working for you? What content rules aren't "sticking"? Where are you neglecting to organize your thoughts on your scratch pad?

3) Can you get a 740 by July? Yes! How will you do this? Regular CATs, thorough review with an Error Log, and based on your Error Log you will tackle a limited number of concepts each week.

Stop doing questions just to do questions, and stop doing lots of different concepts all at once. Narrow your focus to 3-4 concepts a week, and you will see tangible results. Frankly, it's impossible to watch 5 videos on Inequalities, read a chapter in a book on Inequalities, do all the OG questions involving Inequalities, read 12 expert blogs on Inequalities, and do several pacing drills with Inequalities and NOT get better at Inequalities. :-)

So emphasize depth over breadth. Start with what you're missing the most often, and get that data from your Error Log. Since your Verbal is slightly weaker (but still strong!), you may want to re-evaluate some of your strategies. There's some free strategy walkthroughs on my blog: https://gmatrockstar.com/category/gmat-verbal/

The good news is your still have the GMATPrep 2, 3, and 4 left.

The 760 on your re-take cannot totally be "trusted," but even if it is inflated, the good news is we can probably say with some confidence you're breaking 700 right now.

Aim for a 760+ on your final GMATPrep's, supplement them with MGMAT CATs, which are (especially on the Quant side) quite challenging, and if you've got a 760+ on at least one MGMAT and a GMATPrep, that 740 on Test Day will look very likely indeed.

Best of luck to you,
Vivian

Good luck!
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by radbuz » Sun May 24, 2015 10:03 pm
VivianKerr wrote:Hi Nikhil,

A few quick thoughts:

1) I wouldn't trust the "760" on the PR exam for all the money in the world. PR is a fine company, but is sort of in that "Kaplan"-land of middle-of-the-road GMAT prep. They do have excellent tutors, but however they score their practice CATs, it is NOT how the official exam is scored. I

I wouldn't be shocked if you took a different test prep company's CAT today (let's say a MGMAT), and scored a 680 or 690. Don't trust the scores of private company's CATs!! Treat them as the valuable diagnostic tools they are. Which brings me to...

2) I am VERY concerned by your statement, "I hadn't reviewed my previous GMATPrep test." WHAT?! Why? Sorry to be so emphatic, but a strong dedication to your own thorough review of EVERY SINGLE INCORRECT QUESTION is the #1 to improve your GMAT score. You need to get inside your own head, and inside the test-makers heads, and understanding what types of questions you miss the most often, what types of concepts you miss the most often, and (most importantly) why. By not doing a proper Error Log for your GMATPrep 1, you didn't get any value out of it except for the experience of taking it. It was, IMO, a waste.

I attached a sample Error Log that you can use. Be sure to fill it out after EVERY SINGLE CAT YOU TAKE, then sit back and draw your own conclusions from it. What needs to be adjusted? What strategies just aren't working for you? What content rules aren't "sticking"? Where are you neglecting to organize your thoughts on your scratch pad?

3) Can you get a 740 by July? Yes! How will you do this? Regular CATs, thorough review with an Error Log, and based on your Error Log you will tackle a limited number of concepts each week.

Stop doing questions just to do questions, and stop doing lots of different concepts all at once. Narrow your focus to 3-4 concepts a week, and you will see tangible results. Frankly, it's impossible to watch 5 videos on Inequalities, read a chapter in a book on Inequalities, do all the OG questions involving Inequalities, read 12 expert blogs on Inequalities, and do several pacing drills with Inequalities and NOT get better at Inequalities. :-)

So emphasize depth over breadth. Start with what you're missing the most often, and get that data from your Error Log. Since your Verbal is slightly weaker (but still strong!), you may want to re-evaluate some of your strategies. There's some free strategy walkthroughs on my blog: https://gmatrockstar.com/category/gmat-verbal/

The good news is your still have the GMATPrep 2, 3, and 4 left.

The 760 on your re-take cannot totally be "trusted," but even if it is inflated, the good news is we can probably say with some confidence you're breaking 700 right now.

Aim for a 760+ on your final GMATPrep's, supplement them with MGMAT CATs, which are (especially on the Quant side) quite challenging, and if you've got a 760+ on at least one MGMAT and a GMATPrep, that 740 on Test Day will look very likely indeed.

Best of luck to you,
Vivian

Good luck!
Hi Vivian,

Thanks for the detailed feedback.

I'm sorry I might have not worded it correctly. When I said "I hadn't reviewed my previous GMATPrep Test" I meant I hadn't looked at the correct answers/solutions to the problems (This was done so that when I retake the test, I do not know the correct answer beforehand and I am forced to solve it again) . I did analyze the following aspects of the test.

1. What kind of questions I got wrong or spent more than the avg time on . In quant, I felt somewhat uncomfortable solving DS questions. I overcame this barrier by solving the advanced DS questions from the MGMAT advanced quant guide. The questions in this book were amazing and reviewing the solutions made me realize my previous inefficiencies in dealing with DS problem.Now, I can solve the DS problems much faster. In verbal, apart from SC, which was earlier a known weakness, I also realized that I was spending a long time on CR questions and still answering these questions with poor accuracy.

2. Mistake Pattern - On both sections of the test, I got questions right in the beginning and questions right at the end wrong. The middle questions weren't a concern. Later I figured that the wrong questions in the beginning could be attributed to inertia and the wrong questions towards the end were surely due to me rushing on questions due to lack of time.

I would beg to disagree that the first GMATPrep was a "waste". However, I do agree with your statement about 760 being a slightly inflated score . Furthermore, it is encouraging to hear that 740 is certainly achievable by July considering my current preparation status. I really like your idea of taking regular tests and maintaining an error log. I have 5 MGMAT tests ,which I got free with the books, left. I'll try to attempt these .

Thanks again!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Rich@EconomistGMAT » Tue May 26, 2015 9:04 am
Hi radbuz,

I was about to ask you if you had reviewed previous practice exams, but now that you've answered Vivian, I feel much better about that statement she pointed out. With that in mind, it seems to me like you're in a great position to take the GMAT. While your 760 might be a tad inflated, your other practice scores indicate that a 740+ is definitely within your reach.

Best,
Rich