how technology helps in gmat preparation

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

how technology helps in gmat preparation

by finas83 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:15 pm
Dear beatthegmat friends,
I have just started my gmat preparation after almost 2 years of gmat preparation break. I need to continue and do it. It is quite challenging to find the time to study. i always remind myself of that if there is a way there is a will. this forum is full of inspirational stories and advise.Many thanks.
im sorry if this question has been posted earlier. what kind of IT application and technology u use to help preparing for gmat. Many thanks for the great sharing in advance.

Warm Regards

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:50 am
Hi finas83,

There are many different resources that you can use during your GMAT studies, so you might need to sample a few to decide which combination is best for YOU. Most (if not all) Courses are either online or include a significant amount of online resources. There are also a variety of print books that you can use, although you should be careful about going too "book heavy" with your studies - Test Takers who use that type of approach often get stuck at a particular scoring level.

Most GMAT companies offer some type of free resources (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) so that you can "test out" a product before you buy it. My advice is that you should take advantage of all of them, then choose the one(s) that best match your personality, timeline and budget.

When are you planning to take the GMAT?
What is your goal score?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by finas83 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:38 pm
Dear Rich
Greatt. Many thanks for the valuable reply.
I am planning to take the exam in May and my target score is at least 680.
I am currently reviewing the concept using MGMAT foundation books (both verbal and math) and plan to cover my weak area using specific books from MGMAT and other recommended books by fellow beat the GMAT friends.
Really hope I can achieve the score.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:08 am
Hi finas83,

Early on in your studies, it's important to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT, so that you can learn more about your strengths and weaknesses. You can download 2 CATs for free from www.mba.com. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you're set aside enough time to do so in one sitting. You'll likely find it challenging and you might have pacing problems, but that's okay. You'll be working to fix those problems in the next few months.

Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can put together a study plan.

Rich

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by gmat barcelona » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:15 am
Hello finas83,

If you want to start your gmat preparation, as Rich commented, There are solid academic resources available on the Net that you can use and one of them is our Online Course that you can try it for free to check if it can help you in your Gmat Prep. For more information check www.gmatonline.es or www.gmatbarcelona.com
Moreover, It is important complement your Gmat exercises with adaptive test preparation on real time and Strategies that allow you to manage the answer timing.

When do you have to present your results?

Do you live in Spain?
Alexander Steward
GMAT & GRE Instructor
GMAT, TOEFL, GRE, IELTS & TOEIC Center Barcelona
**Prepara el Gmat en Barcelona con los expertos**
https://www.gmatbarcelona.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:11 am
Attend GMAT Live Online Demo Session

Topic: GMAT SC, CR and Quant Math overview and Problem Solving

Date: 8th March

Time: 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM

Register here Now: https://www.manyagroup.com/gmatvirtualdemo/

Followed by:1 members

by JTuquero » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:19 pm
Hi finas 83,

As noted earlier, there are a number of resources out there for GMAT students. My advice is to shop around a bit, and, when it comes to online courses, take advantage of the free trials offered.

Best of luck,
Jessica
The Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
https://econgm.at/freetrial7

by finas83 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:23 am
Dear Rich,beatthegmat friends,many thanks for the very helpful replies.2 months passed,I have completed mgmat foundation books. I am currently reviewing the sentence correction book. I try to the og questions that are refered by the sc book. I also making notes between the review. I try to devote at least 1hour weekdays and longer hour on weekends for my revision.In May,will start the CR and Rc and math in the following month.I admire other friends whom can complete the exam in 3 months. Is my approach for this exam right? Am I too slow? And Also I'm afraid if i will forget the lesson if this lesson is prolong for longer time. What is your secret to Sustain the lesson. Appreciate your valuable feedback. Many many thanks

by finas83 » Thu May 14, 2015 9:52 pm
Dear All, I would like to share my gmat prep, I got mark of 410 , :( the breakdown is 29 for quant and 17 for verbal, I'm planning to review my wrong answer later today,do you gave advise on how to increase my score? Is it possible to improve within in a month or two. Hope to hear from you ,many thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Fri May 15, 2015 8:10 am
Of course you can improve in a month or two. But if your goal is a 680, as you mentioned earlier in the thread, then this timeframe looks very ambitious. Unless you have a strict deadline to meet, you might want to consider giving yourself a bit more time.

The key now is to be thorough in your review. Make notes about what you could have done better on this most recent test. Was timing an issue? Were there consistent thematic issues? Did you leverage strategies like picking numbers and back-solving effectively? Once you have answers to those questions, we can advise you on how to proceed. And don't hesitate to post any questions you're unsure about.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by finas83 » Fri May 15, 2015 8:41 pm
Many thanks DavidG for replying.
The CAT test yesterday was a moment of truth for me. This is my takeaway from the mock CAT, I thought I have studied and practised the SC and Quant questions during my study, but ended guessing many of SC questions. and also applied wrong concept on Quant PS and DS.

When I answered RC and CR, I am not calm looking at words and at times I do not understand the RC passage. I tried to read it fast and succumbed to wrong guessing.

For data sufficiency, I thought the answer can solve the problem, but it is not. I got wrong answer relatively higher compared to PS Quant.

I finished ahead of time for Quant but the score is not satisfactory and struggling with time for Verbal.

Also would like to share how I study GMAT. I tried to find study time after work and during lunch time. I am adjusting myself to wake up earlier so that I have more time to study. It is bit tough as I am not a morning person. I work almost 10 hours daily and I have to work on Saturday for system maintenance activity. Sometimes, I push myself to study although at times, I feel I cant absorb the lesson.
My current study material is mostly books.

The preparation of 1-2 months and the need to cover many areas sound ambitious as I am struggling with both verbal and Quant.

How to have a firm foundation on the concept and can answer any types of question accurately.
Is how I studied wrong. Is there any tips that I must learn.

Would really appreciate your advise, comments, feedback, appreciate your reply. Many thanks in advance. really appreciate it.

by finas83 » Fri May 15, 2015 8:47 pm
Many thanks Rich for the advise on taking the mock CAT test. Thank you

by finas83 » Fri May 15, 2015 9:35 pm
I'm reviewing my CAT result. Additional point to add, I realized the application of concept to different type of question is low. How can I imorove ion this area., many thanks in advance, really appreciate it

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sat May 16, 2015 8:58 am
Hi finas83,

Is this the only CAT that you've taken in the last few months? From your posts, it sounds like it is. If that's the case, then you're going to need to take CATs a bit more frequently (a FULL CAT every 1-3 weeks would probably be best for your situation).

When reviewing this CAT, it's important to really think about WHY you got questions wrong. How many of those questions COULD you have gotten correct (but you made a silly/little mistake)? Those issues are the ones that you should work on first, since they involve the 'easiest' points for you to get back. Usually, the solution that type of issue is to take MORE notes and work harder to stay organized. From there, you should look at the BIG categories that you lost the most questions on (both DS and SC show up often, so there are a LOT of points to be had in those categories).

With your score goals, a book-heavy approach is clearly not working, so you're probably going to need to invest in some additional computer-based resources.

Have you scheduled your Official GMAT yet?

Rich

by finas83 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:25 pm
Dear Rich noted, many thanks, I took the CAT two weeks ago , I don't have a fix date gor the exam yet, but would like to take the exam soon..I think staying organized during the in study preparation? I'm revising the concept by having flash card, error log, study according to the weak area, am I getting the organized way of preparing gmat, I'm sorry if the question has been asked before in other thread, many thanks for the valuable sharing