Most people do not believe that the Mona Lisa

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
The Mona Lisa, arguably the world's most famous painting, may be a masterpiece, but it is neither flawless nor incomparable. The hands are badly matched, the background is dull, and other portraits from the same period evince equally enigmatic expressions. The undue focus on this painting, along with the popularity of a few other pieces, prevents most people not only from seeing the painting for what it really is, but also from understanding the true scope of 15th and 16th century European painting.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest support for the argument's conclusion?

A. Most people do not believe that the Mona Lisa has any evident flaws..
B. The creator of the Mona Lisa, Leonardo DaVinci, did not regard the painting as his finest work.
C. It is possible for most people to understand the true scope of 15th and 16th century European painting.
D. Other European paintings of the 15th and 16th century were once better known than the Mona Lisa.
E. Most art scholars feel that The Last Supper is a superior painting to the Mona Lisa.

A

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Sat May 23, 2015 10:44 am
Hey Vipulgoyal,

So let's examine our CR: Strengthen strategy:

5 Steps to Get Every Strengthen Question Right

Step 1 - Identify the Question Stem

It's not too difficult to know when you're looking at a "Strengthen" question, but only if you remember to read the question stem BEFORE you look at the paragraph. KNOWING this is a Strengthen question will help focus your brain on what to look for as you read the argument.

Step 2 - Break Down the Argument

Before we examine the answer choices, let's do our argument break-down. You can do it in whatever way makes sense to use, but most use a combination of words and symbols.

Conclusion: __________
Evidence: ____________
Assumption: ___________

Always WRITE DOWN your interpretation of the argument. Never try to organize the conclusion, evidence, and assumption in your head. You must THINK ON YOUR OWN, and USE YOUR SCRATCH PAD to gain high CR accuracy!

Step 3 - Predict an Answer

Always write down your own idea for how the argument can be strengthened. Some common ways:

"¢ By removing an alternate explanation
"¢ By showing a strong cause/effect link
"¢ By showing the opposite is not true (i.e. if the argument claims "If X, then Y" it can be strengthened by showing "If NOT X, then NOT Y.")
"¢ By validating the accuracy of the data/survey/statistics

Write down your first big gut instinct, but be somewhat flexible as you examine the answer choices. An argument can be strengthened in unexpected ways.

Step 4 - Remove "Weakeners" or "Irrelevant" Choices

Step 5 - Choose the Highest Positive Impact

Let's apply our strategy to this question now!

Step 1 - "strongest support" obviously tells us this is a Strengthener

Step 2 -

1st C: ML not flawless/incomp
Evid for 1st C: bad hands, dull b/g, not unique exp.

Main C: Too much F + other pieces ---> prevents "seeing" + "understanding" scope

The conclusion here is one of cause/effect. X is preventing Y.

How can we support this? By removing alternate causes or strengthening that cause/effect link.

Step 3 -

Prediction: Nothing else preventing ppl from really "seeing" the ML or understanding true scope. Anything that continues to show ML popularity is HURTING ppl's capacity to appreciate 15th/16th cent.

Step 4 -

A -
B - irrelevant
C -
D -
E - irrelevant

Only A, C, and D pertain to the specifics of the argument.

Step 5 -

We're trying to STRENGTHEN a link between popularity and a lack of understanding.

A - potentially, since it is so famous ppl cannot see the flaws
C - this strengthens by showing the author's desire is attainable, but doesn't specifically tie a link between popularity and a lack of understanding
D - we don't know much about the popularity of The Last Supper in comparison to the Mona Lisa

[spoiler](A)[/spoiler] strengthens this argument the MOST. Why? Because, unlike [spoiler](C)[/spoiler], it ties in the FULL ARGUMENT. (A) links back to the first two sentences. If [spoiler](C)[/spoiler] is the correct answer, why did the author write the first two sentences? His conclusion claims people do not see the painting "for what it really is." The first two sentences describes it as full of flaws. If people do not believe the Mona Lisa is flawed, then the author's claim that popularity "blinds" people from seeing a painting's true worth is strengthened.

The correct answer is [spoiler](A)[/spoiler].

Try this Strengthen question on your own, using this strategy, and let me know if it makes a difference to your accuracy: https://gmatrockstar.com/2014/01/26/gmat ... the-day-4/

Best,
Vivian
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by binit » Sun May 24, 2015 9:31 pm
Hi Vivian,

No-doubt your strategy is very robust and we can guarantee accuracy, but do you suggest applying this to ALL CR problems?
In my case, I normally solve a 600-700 level CR Question almost accurately on an avg 1.50 min and sacrificing little on accuracy I manage to do withing 1.30 min. Now this is WITHOUT writing down anything.
I am not yet ready for 700+ CR but I am working fast to move on to them. Do u think I should start solving CRs by making notes? or should I continue my way and practice more and more?
In the meantime I am experimenting more to understand the issue.

I will truly appreciate ur suggestions.

~Binit.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by kutlee » Mon May 25, 2015 2:46 am
Is option C an assumption of the argument? Does stating the assumption strengthen the argument?