Scored a 720 this afternoon!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Scored a 720 this afternoon!

by stallman83 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:44 pm
I took the GMAT this afternoon for the first time and scored a 720 (96th percentile), which I'm very happy with. I had been doing very well with flashcards and practice questions in the GMAT Premier Edition 2006 book so I felt very confident about a week before the exam. However, I began taking the Kaplan CAT practice tests and didn't score too well (590-610), so my confidence was shaken. However, I read some online message boards where people complained about how the Kaplan CAT's weren't very accurate.

Here are some thoughts on each section:

AWA
I loved the argument essay but hated the issue one. The issue essay was perhaps the most boring topic I had seen so far.

Quantitative - 86th percentile
I wasn't too pleased with my quantitative score because I had been scoring quite a bit higher. I attribute this to poor clock management--I struggled in practice tests to get done in time so I rushed myself on the actual exam. I got done with 9 minutes to spare! I should have paced myself better...

Verbal - 90th percentile
I think the sentence correction problems killed me here. I'm normally very good at them but I had about 3-4 that were literally the exact same; if I missed one, I probably missed them all.

Despite not being pleased with my performance on the individual sections, I ended up being quite pleased with my overall score.

Background on me
Just graduated from a top five undergrad business program; starting a job doing middle-market financial consulting soon and had some time to kill so I decided to get the GMAT out of the way.

Best of luck to everyone else on the exam!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:48 pm
Congrats on a great GMAT performance! Thanks very much for sharing your experience, and best of luck to you in your forthcoming consulting job!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

grt score

by salama » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:01 pm
Congrats on the grt score... can you share ur experience of the exam a bit... in your opinion was the difficulty level the same as GMATPrep. Any feedback will b appreciated.

Thanks