Getting into the right EMBA program

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Getting into the right EMBA program

by Slappy Sanchez » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:50 am
I took the GMAT again today in hopes that I could up my score from 620, instead I went down to 460. I am partially surprised by this, but given my testing problems (I usually receive accommodations, whereas the GMAC hasn't extended them). I am a classic poor test taker, and this study process was rushed into in an effort to get my application and everything submitted by the May 1st (rd4) deadlines.

As I stated, I am a horrible test taker, so getting a 700+ probably wasn't in the cards to begin with, however what I am is a hard worker. My profile reads:
33y/o male
hispanic
BA Business 2.6 gpa (I don't test well)
2 years financial consulting (currently in the position of Vice President of Corporate Finance in a Private Equity Firm), having completed $150m in deals.
2 years working as a analyst on the BP Oil Spill (1 year in policy analysis, 1 year as a Sr. Analyst)
2 years working in logistics management.
2 years volunteer work in a supervisory capacity.

My goal in getting my MBA is to work with a larger network than what my undergrad provided, while also being able to accept more roles which are cut off if I don't process an MBA. I enjoy my current role in investment banking, however I feel like I can learn more than I already know by pursuing an MBA from a top program.

What suggestions do you have for somebody in my position who has poor grades, but has excelled in the work field? Thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Sun May 03, 2015 3:40 am
Consider the following points Slappy Sanchez:
  1. Your career trajectory (assuming you've put it in reverse chronological order here) looks pretty interesting and off beat. That will earn you dollops of brownie point but you have to also ensure that it doesn't become a handicap. At a glance, the 2 year stints looks fairly disconnected and could lead some to believe that you get bored easily and EMBA is another of a series of 'whims'. Make sure to guard against this and you will be good.
  2. The EMBA programs tend to have lower bar in terms of the objective criteria. So you 'may' just scrape through even in some top programs. Even so, spread your risks and hedge your bets as they say.
  3. Your current role and your plan to continue on this route will be an attractive proposition for the adcom. I am assuming all this is for the next year's discussion since you've mentioned you already submitted your application? So the first step would be to wait for the results of this year's application and then devise your strategy accordingly.
Hope this helps,

Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Slappy Sanchez » Fri May 15, 2015 8:33 am
Yes, I have submitted my application to BYU, Michigan, Tulane, and Texas. While the bar might be lower than it is for a traditional MBA I have already heard back from Tulane and BYU saying that they would not be able to admit me.

I will take the GMAT again, and work on my resume and application some more (everything for me was 11th hour), so spacing things out, and actually having more than 3 months to get everything in order will help.

Since I will be taking the GMAT again, maybe I should try for a traditional MBA, but with my position at work, and the demands that school will take, I am not sure if that is the right move if the school I am admitted to is a 2nd or 3rd tier school. Given my profile, would I stand a chance of being admitted to a Michigan, Texas, or USC if I were to apply within round 1 or 2?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Fri May 15, 2015 11:40 pm
Dear Slappy Sanchez,

I am afraid that for reasons mentioned here, it will be premature for me to give school specific assessments and lead you into false notions.

What I mentioned before applies here though - the GMAT will determine your chances to a good extent - so make that count.

Whether a full time or part time is really about what you want to gain out of the MBA experience. The post here will bring some perspective hopefully. There isn't really a cookie cutter here - we work with both type of candidates and the answer really depends on a case to case basis.

Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:720

by fxMBAconsulting (Leah) » Sat May 16, 2015 10:07 am
Dear Slappy - I feel like with 8 years of work experience you're better off looking at EMBA programs. It's hard to say why some of the schools haven't shown an interest - it could be something inherent in your profile or (more likely) the tone of your app or essays might not have been spot on.

Anyway, I don't charge candidates for Ding Reviews or for School Selection Assessments - see here https://fxmbaconsulting.com/mba-admissio ... s-pricing/

So feel free to email me if you'd like to set up a free call.
Best,
Leah
[email protected]
Leah Derus
MIT Sloan MBA 2010
Independent MBA Admissions Consultant
[email protected]
fxmbaconsulting.com

MBA Admissions Consultants & Firms - How to Hire a Great One

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Wed May 20, 2015 5:43 am
Slappy Sanchez wrote:I took the GMAT again today in hopes that I could up my score from 620, instead I went down to 460. I am partially surprised by this, but given my testing problems (I usually receive accommodations, whereas the GMAC hasn't extended them). I am a classic poor test taker, and this study process was rushed into in an effort to get my application and everything submitted by the May 1st (rd4) deadlines.

As I stated, I am a horrible test taker, so getting a 700+ probably wasn't in the cards to begin with, however what I am is a hard worker. My profile reads:
33y/o male
hispanic
BA Business 2.6 gpa (I don't test well)
2 years financial consulting (currently in the position of Vice President of Corporate Finance in a Private Equity Firm), having completed $150m in deals.
2 years working as a analyst on the BP Oil Spill (1 year in policy analysis, 1 year as a Sr. Analyst)
2 years working in logistics management.
2 years volunteer work in a supervisory capacity.

My goal in getting my MBA is to work with a larger network than what my undergrad provided, while also being able to accept more roles which are cut off if I don't process an MBA. I enjoy my current role in investment banking, however I feel like I can learn more than I already know by pursuing an MBA from a top program.

What suggestions do you have for somebody in my position who has poor grades, but has excelled in the work field? Thanks!

Hey dude,
Well your work experience seems awesome. and being Hipsanic should help out a bit..

I think you might not like my answer after your retake score... but.. maybe retake? I know I know... you are 33. And you test poorly. But still it's like the ONE major thing you are missing, and if we take a look at Asian students' studying habits, it's no wonder that they score so crazy high... It's because they study crazy hard.

I don't believe that you are "not a good test taker". Yeah sure, some people have it easier, but I firmly believe that if you got a 620, with the right type and amount of study you can hit a 660.

what do you think? Is there any course? Materials? Training you haven't yet done?

Cause with a 660 we are in another whole ballgame...

I mean if it's not really an option because of your age or whatever reason, we can think out other solutions, but I did want to share this thought with you first.
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.