What are my chances? NYU Stern part time MBA

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

Please evaluate my chances at NYU Sterns part time MBA program.

Undergraduate: Seton Hall University, GPA: 3.28 BS-Finance (2013)

Graduate Classes: Columbia University, GPA: 3.6 - Graduate Business Certificate (2015)

GMAT: 560

Work Experience:

Goldman Sachs: Analyst - Asset Management - Jan 2015 to Present

Prudential Investment Management: Associate/Senior Associate - May 2013 to December 2014 (1yr 6 months)

Thank you for your insight!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by mbaMissionKate » Sun May 17, 2015 9:34 am
Hi there!

According to Stern, they have 3 primary selection criteria for the part time program - Academic Profile, Professional Achievement & Aspirations, and Personal Characteristics.

As far as Academics, your GPA is within their range and probably pretty close to the average, plus having those graduate classes will give you an edge. Your GMAT is low though, Stern's range for part-time is 620-730 with the average somewhere around 670. Have you considered retaking the GMAT to try to get in the 600s?

For Professional, it looks like you're pretty strong there with some well known firms on your resume. Anywhere from 1 - 15 years of work experience is common, so you're on the low end but I don't think that's an issue, as technically no work experience is required for the part-time program. You don't mention anything about your post-MBA goals but that will be an important part of your story. Do you plan to stay in Asset Management? Make sure you can explain how a part-time MBA fits into those goals. Also, as you reflect back on your work experience to-date, seek to identify examples of your leadership, collaboration, interpersonal skills, analytical skills, etc. - these are those personal qualities that Stern is looking for.

And then there's everything outside of work, which you don't say anything about, but things like community leadership, volunteer work, interesting hobbies / passions / special skills can help you to stand out too.

Overall - I encourage you to retake the GMAT - not because you couldn't get in with a 560 but because I think it will improve your chances. Other than that, I think a lot of it will come down to execution of your essays and getting strong recommendations from work (perhaps try to have one from Goldman and one from Prudential since you recently changed jobs).

Good luck and keep us posted if we can help!