Profile Evaluation Request

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation Request

by InternationalApplicant » Mon May 11, 2015 6:41 pm
Hi, would you be so kind to assess my profile?

Nationality: Uruguayan (South America)

GPA: BS Accounting (with the equivalent of a CPA in the US) 82/100 at very important private University. Top 20% of class. (please do not benchmark with US percentage system. Top 1% is about 90-91/100 here). Received 35% merit based scholarship due to a 1480/1600 entrance exam score (similar to SAT)

GMAT: Did not take it yet. Please assess my chances with 680 and with 720.

Work Experience:
-41 months at matriculation. KPMG Advisory Services - Senior Consultant (three promotions).
-Experienced in M&A, valuations, financial modeling (at the Corporate Finance division) and process engineering, integration (after merger), business transformation strategy (at the Management Consulting division).
-Developed Corporate Social Responsibility strategy -emphasized in the environment- among KPMG Uruguay.
-Captain of the Advisory Services soccer team.
-General Management Assistant Professor at my University for a year (upon applying).

Extracurriculars:
-Executive Board Advisor at Latin American Sephardic Federation in Uruguay's sephardic community. Fund-raising and community involvement projects. 2,5 years upon applying.
-Mentor at 'Project Shoah'. Gave lectures to over 700 high-school students about the Holocaust and how it connects with nowadays bullying. 2 years upon applying. Member of this organization's fund-raising board too.
-Co-found a charitable organization, with about 10 to 15 volunteers in charge of helping homeless people, raising food and clothes donations.
-Have been involved for 4 years in a youth jewish movement, where I was in charge of a group of 30 children.

Other:
-Published an analysis of Corporate Social Responsibility at Uruguay's mid-market companies.
-Lived 10 months in Israel, where I have taken a 4-month community leadership program.

I am willing to apply next winter (Class of 2018), R2 to: HBS, Kellogg, Tuck, Yale SOM, Cornell Johnson and maybe Chicago Booth.

Thank you very much, I will appreciate your insights!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Thu May 14, 2015 10:05 am
Great stuff here! I like your community leadership, your academic background sounds like it will support you, and you have a name-brand employer. Missing information: your post-MBA goals (industry, impact desired) and your long-term "how I want to change the world" goal - rather crucial for Harvard-oriented applicants, in my experience.

Also, do you have professional experience in another country? Was your time in Israel during university? Do you currently work with international clients, or have you been sent abroad to manage or collaborate on projects? Where do you see yourself settling post-MBA? US/Europe? Back in Uruguay? Somewhere else...? These questions are important to identify the intangible strengths in your background.

GMAT: to be competitive for your top-choice schools, you'll want be sure your GMAT is at or above the median, which means 710-720. A 680 would really hurt your chances for these schools, IMO. The sooner you take it, the better; leave yourself time to take it twice.

So, my assessment: with a clear set of goals and a strong-enough GMAT, you are definitely competitive for top MBA programs such as the ones you've listed here. Go for it!

Best wishes,
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by InternationalApplicant » Thu May 14, 2015 11:09 am
Thank you for your early and encouraging response Margaret!

I will provide you with the information you asked for:

-My goal is to develop sustainable energy projects in Uruguay, creating employment and bringing foreign investments to the country. I have had experience in several wind farms projects (financial modeling) at KPMG. A goal that I personal have for any time in my lifetime is to create a large NGO helping job/homeless families. What I am doing at this time with the charitable organization I believe is good, considering the limitations, but I would like to take the big step (infraestructure, funding, strategic associations, etc.)
-My time in Israel was between high-school and University. In addition to the leadership program, I have had several experiences including meeting multi-cultural people, receiving Israel's Red Cross two-week training, working on a Kibbutz (colaborative farm, for making it easy). This time in Israel is staightly related with my involvement in the youth jewish movement, being the work on this movement the main sponsor of the program.
-I have been involved in projects with international counterparts, but not travelled for that purpose.
-Immediately post-MBA in the US, because I would like to gain experience and network with potential investors, as well as gaining knowledge of the best practices. I am considering to select entrepreneurship and private equity elective courses for that purpose. Then I am planning to come back and execute my goals.

Once again, I appreciate your insights!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Thu May 14, 2015 11:33 am
Sounds excellent! You'll want to choose a lane here, between sustainable energy versus an NGO to help homeless families, but it's great that you've already got experience to give your goals credibility.
So really drill down on that GMAT -- everything else lines up nicely, so this one number could make all the difference.

Best wishes,
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me