Profile Evaluation Request

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation Request

by LN1988 » Sat May 09, 2015 6:07 pm
Hi there,

I am a 27 year old Canadian female with 6 years of work experience. In the last 5 years I have worked at Canada's largest telco in a variety of roles including sales performance analysis, channel management and marketing. In my current role, which I have held for the last 2 years, I work in product marketing and lead project teams in building marketing strategies and campaigns for new product launches. I am pursuing an MBA with the goal of gaining formal education on the core business areas (finance, accounting, strategy + more) in order to develop a well-rounded knowledge base and skill-set for future opportunities. I will be applying for 2016 intake and looking for some feedback on my profile.

Education wise, I have a Bachelor of Arts in Communications from a good Canadian university - unfortunately my GPA is quite low - 2.8. No one to blame but myself, however I am hoping that I can offset this low GPA with the following:

- High GMAT score (targeting 700, currently scoring 680 on practice exams)
- Demonstration of more recent academic aptitude - completion of a project management course last summer at a top Canadian University, achieved a 95% grade.
- Obtained CAPM (Certified Associated in Project Management) designation early last year and currently in pursuit of my PMP (Project Management Professional) designation.
- Strong professional recommendations

Unfortunately I don't have much extra curriculars, at least nothing worth noting in my application. I am looking into volunteering opportunities right now but nothing to list currently. I have a variety of interests and hobbies - just not sure cooking classes and rec-level sports leagues are what the admissions offices are looking for :)

I am very interested in going abroad perhaps to Singapore or Australia. Open to other European / Asian schools as well but not sure how competitive my profile would be. Currently targeting SMU, Nanyang, NUS, AGSM, and MBS. Insead is a dream but realistically may be out of my reach.

Thanks in advance for your time!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Mon May 11, 2015 10:41 am
Hello LN1988,
You sound like an honest and serious applicant, and top business schools will be lucky to have you!
Now, many of these are programs I can't weigh in on from my own experience, but drawing on my extensive experience with other European/Asian schools, I think that for you, differentiation will be the key to a competitive application. We'll want to see your leadership, your initiative, your impact on the organization, your rapid career progress. We'll want to see a clear statement of your short and long-term career goals, and a clear connection between those goals and the schools you're applying to, both in terms of geography and also in terms of the strengths of that particular program. Wherever possible, visit the campus you're applying to, meet current students, introduce yourself to the admissions staff.

Your "numbers" may be a little low for top MBA programs such as INSEAD, but for NUS, for example, you're ahead of the class profile in several areas. You can compensate to some degree for that GPA through your strong professional history: show what you do in the workplace that harnesses hands-on quant skills, show yourself working effectively in English, particularly leading presentations, drafting reports, and managing international staff. It's also great that you have performed well academically since your undergraduate degree; it shows that maturity is definitely a factor.

Hope this helps -- good luck in your MBA applications!

Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by LN1988 » Tue May 12, 2015 3:29 am
Hi Margaret,

Thank you very much for your detailed response and advice, it was very helpful and I will certainly do my best to incorporate all of your suggestions into my my application.

I know you mentioned that you do not have personal experience in some of the programs I am interested in but wondering if you have any thoughts on the reputation or experience at Nanyang vs. NUS vs. SMU.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Wed May 13, 2015 6:28 am
I don't really have added value in this evaluation based on personal experience, but I'd be happy to help you parse other top business schools.

Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me