Shall I retake the GMAT?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

Shall I retake the GMAT?

by [email protected] » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:26 pm
Hi Guys!
I need a help. But, before I ask my doubt, I'll walk you through my resume and my aspirations.
I gave my GMAT last weekend and got a 720(Q51, V35), 7 in IR and 5 in AWA. I'm not satisfied with my verbal score as I believe that I can score better in that arena.
Background:
I'm working with PepsiCo, India Region as an Asst Manager in Technical Operations for the last 2 years. I plan to apply for 2017 batch to the following colleges:-
1. Indian School Of Business, India.
2. NYU-Stern,NY,US as consultancy is its forte.
3. Darden School Of Business,University of Virginia,US as consultancy is its forte.
4. MIT-Sloan,US as entrepreneurship is its forte and it is in the Silicon Valley.
5. Rotman School of Business,Canada as consultancy is its forte.
UG: B.Tech in Electrical Engg from VNIT-Nagpur (National Institute of Tech, Nagpur)
CGPA: 8.41/10.0
Achievements: Annual Operational Excellence Award, 2014, India Region.
Short term Goal: I want to do strategy or operational consultancy.
Long Term Goal: I want to start my own .com and app based business.
My doubt is that as I have one more year before I start with my application, shall I give my GMAT once more or shall I focus on my job?
What if, I do give my GMAT once more and score less than a 720? In this case I have to cancel the score. Therefore, will the colleges I apply to be able to see that I cancelled my score? If yes, will it harm?
Regards,
Tanuj

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Fri May 01, 2015 6:06 am
What if, I do give my GMAT once more and score less than a 720? In this case I have to cancel the score. Therefore, will the colleges I apply to be able to see that I cancelled my score? If yes, will it harm?
Yes, schools can see that you canceled your score (assuming you haven't already sent a score report,) but there's no evidence to suggest that this would hurt you. Programs are really only looking at your top score. The deeper consideration here is the opportunity cost of re-taking the exam vs the incremental benefit. During the time you spend prepping to take the exam again, could you be doing other things to boost your candidacy? (Visiting schools, working on your essays, assuming new projects at work, etc.?) While a 740 might help a little, 720 is an excellent score, and once schools see that you're capable of handling their curricula, they're likely to be more concerned with other aspects of your application than a few more points on the GMAT.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri May 01, 2015 12:58 pm
Hi mukherjee.tanuj3,

First off, a 720/Q51 is an outstanding score, so you can comfortably apply to any Business Schools that you choose to. Many of the Schools that you've listed are remarkably competitive though, so you have to make sure that your OVERALL application is as strong as possible. In real basic terms, you've got a GMAT score that would make any Business School happy, so there's very little to be gained by retesting.

You might also want to discuss your overall plans with an Admissions Expert. There's a Forum full of them here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/ask-an-mba-a ... t-f40.html

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Fri May 01, 2015 5:59 pm
While maybe those guys are totally right and you should be done with the GMAT, here's a thought.

You have a year, ok? So you could consistently do some GMAT verbal practice, not a lot, for months or even for the year. You could use some good resources and get better at SC, CR and RC. After a few months of regular working on that, not in a way that would interfere with anything else, just as a regular practice, like working out or doing crossword puzzles, you would likely be super comfortable with the questions and would likely achieve a high hit rate.

Who knows, but probably just by doing that you get to a low to mid 40's verbal section score.

Also, the truth is that the verbal section of the GMAT does test some useful skills. I for one got better at writing via preparing for GMAT verbal and I have heard similar things from someone else. Also the logic, comprehension skills and vision used to get CR and RC questions right are pretty useful too. What I am getting at here is that any preparation you would do for the verbal section of the GMAT would have benefits beyond increasing your GMAT score.

So then, ultra comfortable with GMAT verbal, you could review quant and go take the test again, or maybe you could be doing a little quant all along too, or something.

Having said that I am a bit of a GMAT freak and so maybe you should take care that I don't drag you into my habit, but anyway there are some thoughts.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by vickysan » Mon May 04, 2015 4:26 pm
Hi Tanuj,

You are a perfectionist! You are done with the GMAT. Everyone I talk to says the adcoms don't really care once you're above 700. I'd be quite happy to be where you are.

Vicky

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by [email protected] » Tue May 12, 2015 8:36 pm
Marty Murray wrote:While maybe those guys are totally right and you should be done with the GMAT, here's a thought.

You have a year, ok? So you could consistently do some GMAT verbal practice, not a lot, for months or even for the year. You could use some good resources and get better at SC, CR and RC. After a few months of regular working on that, not in a way that would interfere with anything else, just as a regular practice, like working out or doing crossword puzzles, you would likely be super comfortable with the questions and would likely achieve a high hit rate.

Who knows, but probably just by doing that you get to a low to mid 40's verbal section score.

Also, the truth is that the verbal section of the GMAT does test some useful skills. I for one got better at writing via preparing for GMAT verbal and I have heard similar things from someone else. Also the logic, comprehension skills and vision used to get CR and RC questions right are pretty useful too. What I am getting at here is that any preparation you would do for the verbal section of the GMAT would have benefits beyond increasing your GMAT score.

So then, ultra comfortable with GMAT verbal, you could review quant and go take the test again, or maybe you could be doing a little quant all along too, or something.

Having said that I am a bit of a GMAT freak and so maybe you should take care that I don't drag you into my habit, but anyway there are some thoughts.
Hi Marty!
I agree with you on the part that GMAT helps in overall personality development.However, my concern here is whether improving my GMAT score will increase my candidacy?

Warm Regards,
Tanuj