AdCons: Are any schools starting to look more at IR?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
I understand that when IR was first introduced schools weren't looking at it, but that was years ago. Has their been any shift from what you're seeing?

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon May 11, 2015 1:05 pm
That's a great question and the answer is yes, they're starting to look at it. They've got a few years of data to look at along with a graduated class or two. In statistical nerd speak, the "n" is significant. Is it something they're being rated and ranked on? Not yet. So if the score isn't great, you can still find ways to support it throughout the rest of your application. But it is definitely becoming a more useful datapoint and one that the top schools have mentioned to us that they are experimenting with in terms of inclusion.

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by AdamMac » Tue May 12, 2015 9:36 am
Thanks Bhavik.

That's kind of scary. In terms of the stats, what kind of evidence about the applicants is IR providing for the schools beyond just a score?

Do you know how the adcoms are using it?

Also do you know which schools are giving it more weight?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Tue May 12, 2015 9:47 am
Hey there,

Definitely nothing to get worried over yet. It gives them a little insight into how you turn data into insight but, like I said, they're experimenting. It isn't something that's up and live. And no one school is materially further along that curve than another.

Are you worried about this because you don't feel your IR score is great?

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by AdamMac » Tue May 12, 2015 3:29 pm
Thanks Bhavik. It's more of a time management thing. It looks like I'll now need to allocate more time to IR than I thought I did. Thanks again for the insight.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by MBA Ivy » Tue May 12, 2015 5:19 pm
Yes, in my understanding, they're just using it in "test mode" to see if it's worth adding to the other factors they use when evaluating your application. At the moment though, because it is not official, I would not worry about it quite yet!

[I'm a former Harvard admissions interviewer and Harvard grad, and currently run the MBA admissions firm MBA IVY LEAGUE out of Manhattan. Contact me today for a free initial consultation: www.MBAIvyLeague.com]

Jillian