Profile Evaluation_Indian Male _Mechanical Engineer

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi, I am Md Merajul Islam

My Profile Summary :-
10th Std - 82.5% (Passed on 2005)
10+2 Std - 67.8% (Passed on 2007)
B-Tech in Mechanical Engineering from WBUT - DGPA 7.87 (Passed on 2011)
Work Experience : 41 months as on date (July,2011 to Present), Working in Larsen & Toubro Ltd, Power Division.
38 months work experience in India and currently 5 months in Bangladesh
Present Designation : Senior Engineer- Mechanical Project Planning
Job Profile : 2011-2012 -> Site Engineer (Larsen & Toubro)
2012-2014 -> Sr Engineer-Project Planning for Super-critical Boilers(Larsen & Toubro)
2014-Present -> Sr Engineer- Project Planning for EPC Gas Power Plant(Larsen & Toubro)
Extracurricular activities : Won prizes in painting and recitation at School Level.
I was a organizing member of our college fest.
Others : Associated with "World Vision".Sponsoring a girl child for her education

My Question :
1. Is my profile strong enough to admit in top 10 Business Schools, because I dont have much higher grades.
2. I am aiming for the following business schools :
i. Esade
ii. Said Business School
iii. Cambridge Judge University
iv.Indian School of Business

I haven't attempted GMAT yet.Due to work pressure I self study.I am aiming for 720 in GMAT,Is 720 a decent score for getting admit in one of these schools.

Please evaluate my Profile Mr. Green

GMAT/MBA Expert

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by mbaMissionKate » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:04 am
Hi there, thanks for your post.

So there are some unknowns in your profile, like what your post-MBA goals are and what you'll actually get on the GMAT (good luck, by the way!). It also seems like the extracurriculars you list are all from university, so I'm not sure if you have more recent activities? But I'd say your academics and work experience seem solid.

One thing for you to be thinking about though is how you're going to differentiate your profile from other similar applicants. To be honest, these schools will see a lot of applicants from your demographic with a technical / engineering background. So think about the strengths that you have compared to your peers and how you can highlight those in different parts of the application.

As for the GMAT, it obviously depends on which schools you're targeting. The 4 schools you list are not typically considered Top 10, which are obviously a lot tougher. If you can reach a 720 then that's a good score for the programs you listed. If you look at median GMATs for those programs they range from about 670 (ESADE) to 711 (ISB) with Judge and Said around 680/690. So a 720 would put you in a good spot there.

Best of luck with the GMAT studying and let us know if we can help with any questions down the road.