Profile Evaluation Request Please!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation Request Please!

by andydc20 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:53 am
GMAT: 720
BA Economics, GPA 2.9, Captain and President of Club hockey team
MS Accounting, GPA 3.2

Profile: CPA with (in chronological order) 1 year in sales at venture funded software company, 2 years for Internet startup I founded, 3.5 years audit experience at Big Four firm, 1 year Internal Audit at F100 company. Currently with regional CPA firm performing audits for hedge fund and financial service industry clients. Total WE: 8+ years

Other: Sitting for CFA Level 1, December 2015. Married with young children.

Goal: MBA in Finance. Transition to Investment Management (hedge fund, asset management firm) or F500 Corporate Finance.

Schools: Booth, Columbia, Darden, Fuqua, Haas, Kellogg, Kenan-Flagler, Ross, Stern, Tepper, Wharton.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:47 pm
Hey there Andy,

Thanks for your post! You've definitely had a few diverse experiences in your career - I'll grant you that! And you've got a solid GMAT - congratulations! That said, there are a few flags too. First off, your GPAs (both BA and MS) are low. If you haven't taken the CFA (I know it's planned) or any extra courses, a 720 doesn't quite compensate enough. You're also getting to be a bit on the older side but it's not the end of the world - just something to consider when putting your story together. And all those jobs will come into play then too - you'll need to weave everything together.

All in - here's what I'll say. Your top 20 run will have some hurdles. For the higher up schools, they'll be serious. BUT - you're at an age where you really need to go all in. If this doesn't work, you might have one year to reapply but after that you're in the part time MBA world. So I say go for it! Definitely pick some safety schools but only go so far down in the rankings that you feel comfortable with the ROI. Everyone has their own line in the sand. But try for some stretch schools too! I say go hard.

I hope that helps - let me know if you have any questions! Or sign up for a free consultation and we can talk it through.

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by andydc20 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:00 am
Hi Blavik,

Thanks for your honest assessment of my profile! I will definitely keep these things in mind as I am moving through the final school selection and application process. I know it will be tough but I figure aiming high is worth a shot! Thanks again for your thoughtful response!

Andrew

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:04 am
My pleasure - best of luck Andrew!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!