Which schools got most tough & intense 2 year MBA ?

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
Hi Bhavik,
Let me begin by stating that I'm aware that b-school is tough to get in and subsequently MBA is even tougher to complete successfully - it'll require lots of hard work during that 2 years in the b-school.

But, still I think there are schools which have got more intense & highly competitive programs than the others in the top 20 or so (US news).

So, it'd be really helpful if you could let me know which schools among the followings are having the most competitive/tough 2 yr MBA ? And how this list would look like if we could rearrange the b-schools in terms of MOST competitive, tough & intense Full-time 2 year MBA programs ?
  • HBS
    Kellogg
    CBS
    Tuck
    Darden
    Ross
    UCLA Anderson
    Cornell Johnson
    McCombs
    Emory Goizueta
    Olin
    UNC- Kenan-"‹Flagler
    Kelley
Look forward to your thoughts. Much thanks in advance!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:04 pm
I'm not sure I entirely understand your question - how are you using the word "competitive" as you use it in both questions? Also, it'd be helpful to understand WHY you're asking this. Most of these schools are quite great and have the professors, alumni, and endowments to back up their prestige. So rather than split hairs, what might be helpful would be to think about these schools in tiers. From the list below, tier 1 schools would include HBS, Kellogg, CBS, Tuck, Darden, and Ross. Tier 2 would include Cornell, McCombs, and Goizueta. Competitiveness (difficulty in getting in) can be judged through acceptance rates which are publicly available - this poets and quants article provides a nice summary. Difficulty of the program and rigor is hard to judge as all MBA programs demand a lot out of their students, but you can imagine that tier 1 schools have a bit of an edge there. Finally, in judging the competitive environment of the school, look for schools that have grade nondisclosure to be less competitive than those that don't. Hope this helps, and best of luck.
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:02 pm
HI Bhavik,
Thanks for your reply but I think, I was not able to convey properly what I wanted to know from you. Sorry, my bad!

I didn't mean to know which schools are hardest to get into...(however, didn't get your last statement)!

Let me try to clarify in detail - what I meant by "Competitiveness" among the schools in my list is, which schools are having the MOST intense and challenging programs in terms of academic rigor MOSTLY...and perhaps other relevant factors, if any (may be, competition among peers) ! Precisely, how much is the workload of coursework/curriculum ?

For example, what I heard (on the MBA forums/different consulting firms' sites) is that Kellogg has a comparatively much relaxed workload/curriculum (people there can spend the tenure in a cool/relaxed way on this front) whereas 2 yr in Tuck is really tough and challenging that one has to roll up sleeves and dive into the pool of extremely hard-working people.

I'm looking for somewhat this sort of probable grouping to find the best possible fit ,however, this criteria (re Competitiveness as described above) is just one of the many important considerations to determine the best fit overall, as you know.

Hope, I'm more clear now on my question :-)

Look forward to your valuable thoughts Sir!

P.S: As for the P & Q article, I went through that already but couldn't get any idea about how intense and challenging the program is in terms of academic rigor while going through their latest one published just couple of days ago...

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:33 pm
Ah, I see! It's a bit difficult to definitely say which tier 1 program is more rigorous than another. Now, don't get me wrong, some are more so than others but it also depends on what YOU make out of the program. Like I said before, it can sometimes be like splitting hairs. It's not like you're comparing HBS to Boston College, you're wanting to know if HBS has more of a workload or demands more out of their students from its fellow Ivy League competitor. While prestige might vary from school to school, workload and what is expected across tier 1 programs is, for the most part, rather consistent. What might make it SEEM different is the nature and approach the students take towards those demands. As I mentioned before, schools that have grade nondisclosure make things a bit less competitive thus changing the culture and attitude of the school. That doesn't mean folks don't care about their grades but it gives some breathing room for those who have different priorities. Comparing a school with grade nondisclosure to another may seem as though it's a bit more "relaxed" at first glance, but it's likely not due to the difference in rigor or expectation, but simply the difference in the culture of the school and their approach to learning.

Schools like GSB, Booth, CBS, Haas, and SOM are known to have GND. Whereas, HBS, Tuck, Kellogg, and Sloan do not. Then again, some schools, such as Darden, are known to be bootcamps! The easiest way to figure this out is to chat with students - ask them - they'll tell you!

Hope this helps! If you're looking for additional information on how you might fit with some of the top schools, take a look at our school profiles.
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!