New GMAC Question Pack SC

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

New GMAC Question Pack SC

by fangtray » Mon May 07, 2012 6:23 pm
A recent survey showed that while many banks have service charges on interest-bearing and non-interest-bearing accounts with balances that are falling below a set minimum, some banks provide virtually free checking regardless of the account balance.

a. with balances that are falling below
b. whose balances fall below
c. whose balances fall below that of
d. that have balances falling below that of
e. that have balances that fall below those of

Please provide explanations to why one answer is correct and why the other 4 is wrong.

sorry i could not underline for you, everytime i try to use the underline button, it reverts me back to the home page. not sure if this is a glitch of some sort...but it happened before too...

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:192 members
GMAT Score:780

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Mon May 07, 2012 7:05 pm
A recent survey showed that while many banks have service charges on interest-bearing and non-interest-bearing accounts with balances that are falling below a set minimum, some banks provide virtually free checking regardless of the account balance.

a. with balances that are falling below (it's not a continuous action, so we don't need an -ing verb)
c. whose balances fall below that of (that of indicates a balance of a set minimum, which doesn't make sense)
d. that have balances falling below that of (that of indicates a balance of a set minimum, which doesn't make sense)
e. that have balances that fall below those of ("those of" indicates balances of a set minimum, which doesn't make sense)
Join Veritas Prep's 2010 Instructor of the Year, Matt Douglas for GMATT Mondays

Visit the Veritas Prep Blog

Try the FREE Veritas Prep Practice Test

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by fangtray » Mon May 07, 2012 9:11 pm
Bill@VeritasPrep wrote:A recent survey showed that while many banks have service charges on interest-bearing and non-interest-bearing accounts with balances that are falling below a set minimum, some banks provide virtually free checking regardless of the account balance.

a. with balances that are falling below (it's not a continuous action, so we don't need an -ing verb)
c. whose balances fall below that of (that of indicates a balance of a set minimum, which doesn't make sense)
d. that have balances falling below that of (that of indicates a balance of a set minimum, which doesn't make sense)
e. that have balances that fall below those of ("those of" indicates balances of a set minimum, which doesn't make sense)
doesn't whose need to refer to people? similiar to who? What are the things whose and who can refer to? there is some rule here that i must not know.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:192 members
GMAT Score:780

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Tue May 08, 2012 6:51 am
You can use whose with inanimate objects.

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/645/01/
Whose is the only possessive relative pronoun in English. The antecedent of "whose" can be both people and things:

The family whose house burnt in the fire was immediately given a complimentary suite in a hotel.

The book whose author won a Pulitzer has become a bestseller.
Join Veritas Prep's 2010 Instructor of the Year, Matt Douglas for GMATT Mondays

Visit the Veritas Prep Blog

Try the FREE Veritas Prep Practice Test

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:690

by jordan23 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:20 am
IMO B

Legendary Member
Followed by:21 members

by vk_vinayak » Wed May 09, 2012 10:26 am
B for me.
doesn't whose need to refer to people? similiar to who?
Who should refer to people. Whose can refer to people as well as non-people objects. Refer Og-12 #102.
- VK

I will (Learn. Recognize. Apply)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by patrick0885 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:20 am
Hi,

In Ans E, the official explanation says that the relative pronoun "that" introduces unnecessary wordiness. I thought the only error of this answer is "those of".

If I removed "those of" but kept "that", would that also be a correct answer? I am just trying to confirm that "that" should not really cause any problem here but of course I may be wrong.

Ans E:
that have balances that fall below those of

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:18 am
patrick0885 wrote:Hi,

In Ans E, the official explanation says that the relative pronoun "that" introduces unnecessary wordiness.
E: THAT many banks have services charges on accounts THAT have balances THAT fall below a set minimum.
Here, the succession of that-clauses -- three in a row -- makes the sentence to follow.
The repetition of have is also worrisome (banks HAVE charges on accounts that HAVE balances).
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by kshiteesh86 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:15 pm
In options D and E "that have balances" here "that" is referring to plural "interest-bearing and non-interest-bearing accounts" is also a error so we can eliminate these options.