Springfiels

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

Springfiels

by Abhijit K » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:44 am
Which of the following most logically completes the argument below?

According to promotional material published by the city of Springfield, more tourists stay in hotels in Springfield than stay in the neighboring city of Harristown. A brochure from the largest hotel in Harristown claims that more tourists stay in that hotel than stay in the Royal Arms Hotel in Springfield. If both of these sources are accurate, however, the county's "Report on Tourism" must be in error in indicating that _______.

A. more tourists stay in hotel accommodations in Harristown than stay in the Royal Arms Hotel
B. the Royal Arms Hotel is the only hotel in Springfield
C. there are several hotels in Harristown that are larger than the Royal Arms Hotel
D. some of the tourists who have stayed in hotels in Harristown have also stayed in the Royal Arms Hotel
E. some hotels in Harristown have fewer tourist guests each year than the Royal Arms Hotel has

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by umasarath52 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:44 am
Statement 1 shows that more tourists stay in hotels in Springfield than stay in the neighboring city of Harristown.

Statement 2 shows that largest hotel in Harristown claims that more tourists stay in that hotel than stay in the Royal Arms Hotel in Springfield

if E is true then the statement 1 would be false as more people stay in Harristown than in Springfield (as per statement 2),

There should be more hotels other than Royal Arms so that the combined number of tourists in all the tourists in hotels of Springfield will be more than Harristown.
Therefore "If both of these sources are accurate, however, the "Report on Tourism" for the region must be in error in stating that The royal arms hotel is the only hotel in Springfield."

and hence tourism report would be wrong in stating E in their report.

Hope this helps and correct me if I am wrong!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:24 am
Abhijit K wrote:Which of the following most logically completes the argument below?

According to promotional material published by the city of Springfield, more tourists stay in hotels in Springfield than stay in the neighboring city of Harristown. A brochure from the largest hotel in Harristown claims that more tourists stay in that hotel than stay in the Royal Arms Hotel in Springfield. If both of these sources are accurate, however, the county's "Report on Tourism" must be in error in indicating that _______.

A. more tourists stay in hotel accommodations in Harristown than stay in the Royal Arms Hotel
B. the Royal Arms Hotel is the only hotel in Springfield
C. there are several hotels in Harristown that are larger than the Royal Arms Hotel
D. some of the tourists who have stayed in hotels in Harristown have also stayed in the Royal Arms Hotel
E. some hotels in Harristown have fewer tourist guests each year than the Royal Arms Hotel has
The red portion implies the following:
Fewer tourists stay at the Royal Arms Hotel in Springfield than at the largest hotel in Harristown.
The blue portion implies the following:
The total number of tourists staying at hotels in Springfield is greater than the total number of tourists staying at hotels in Harristown.

Implication:
Many tourists are staying at OTHER HOTELS in Springfield, with the result that the total number of tourists staying in Springfield is greater than the total number of tourists staying in Harristown.
This implication is contradicted by B:
The Royal Arms Hotel is the only hotel in Springfield.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3