Help!!! I am stuck half way to achieve my GOAL (680-700)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:620
Hello GMAT Takers,
I am writing this post because I need YOUR HELP.
I have taken the GMAT exam twice, but I have not aced my GOAL (680-700), although I was very close to it on the practice CAT's I did.
I am going to introduce some background information, so you know better how I am, and my experience with GMAT

Background:
Girl, 26 years old, Engineer, top 20% of my promotion. Consultant. I love maths and I really enjoy with the Quantitative part, however, the Verbal part is getting on my way to reach my goal

1st experience attempting the GMAT:
I studied for 1.5 months on my own. I did not take any courses or study plan, I kind of improvise a Little bit from what people I knew did, and from what I learnt from different blogs. During this period I took a break from work, so I was full-time focus on GMAT
Material used:
- Official Guide edition 13th- I used it before reviewing anything to have an idea of which type of questions I could fine on the Gmat Exam
- Gmat club Math Book - I went through it after doing all the OG, it helped me to have a more profound knowledge of the quantitative contents
- Academy notes on Verbal Section- General view of how to tackle the verbal section, and most important Sentence Correction errors.
- Gmat Club Tests and Quizzes - I started using them before tackling and entire CAT exam, it helped to improve a lot on the Quantitative Section.
- CAT Exams - I did 5 CATs exam, with an average of 650, high scores on the Quant section, but low ones on the verbal
CAT 1: 660 (Q50, V 25)- kaplan
CAT 2: 680 (Q50, V31)- kaplan
CAT 3: 630 (Q48, V31)- kaplan
CAT 4: 630 (Q48, V29)- kaplan
CAT 5: 680 (don't have the details) - GMAT Prep
I went through a 1 and a half-month period of very intense study, especially towards the end. I studied for more than 8 hours per day, with very short or no breaks during the weekend, producing me very intense headaches and anxiety. The week before the exam, I started taking vitamins 'cos I was feeling very tired and with intense headache.
EXAM 1
On the exam day, I was nervous, but I was feeling better than the previous days, so I thought I still have a chance of doing it well.
I started with the AWA and IR, and my sensations were great. I took the 8-minute break, and I went in to face the Quantitative Section. I had problems with the timing; I had to guess a few questions toward the end. I went for the 2nd break knowing that I had done worst than in the practice CATs, but I felt I still have a chance. The verbal section was a complete disaster, terrific... I started quite tired, and guessing a lot. I did not understand most of the CR questions, I did not see the mistakes on the SC questions, it was all very confusing.... I felt very saturated, my head was hurting.....
The exam was over, I knew beforehand, that that exam was the worst one I have ever done... and I was no wrong, final results: 560 (Q47, V22), IR(7)

2nd experience attempting the GMAT:
After my first experience I felt very demotivated and with no energy to face it again, so I took a break for almost a month
My 2nd studying period was also for a month and half. This time, I signed up on an online course (www.gmatonline.es), which had videos dealing with the main topics of both sections. Moreover, it had more than a 1,000 questions to practice and to make my own tests. I felt it really helped me improve with the verbal section. Once I went through all the lessons, I felt ready to tackle a CAT exam, this time I did 4 before the real one (1 Kaplan, 3 Manhattan Gmat), and I also got an average result of 650, improving a lot on the verbal and maintaining or decreasing a little bit the score on the quantitative, however, I read that in Manhattan Gmat CAT's, the quantitative section is harder than the real exam.
CAT 1: 660 (Q49, V31)- Kaplan
CAT 2: 640 (Q43, V35)- MMG
CAT 3: 650 (Q40, V39) - MMG
CAT 4: 670 (Q46, V35) -MMG
EXAM 2
This time I dealt much better with the timings and hours dedicated to study. I did not study more than 6-7 hours per day, I practice sport, and I had a break during the weekend. The week of the exam, I barely did anything... just review and relax.
The day of the exam, I felt rested and not too much nervous. Once again, I start with the AWA and IR and I felt well... I had a clear mind. After the 8-min break, I went for the Quantitative Section... and this time, I handle much better the time... I had to guess only 2 or 3 questions, (one of probability, my stigma on quant. Section). It felt better than the previous exam, however, I knew that my score was not more than 48.
Verbal Section, I started motivated, and dealing with the questions on time... however, many doubts came to my with the SC questions, I think, I analyzed too much each sentence. On the other hand, CR questions, which I normally see the correct answer straightforward, I found them harder....and in RC, I understood very well the main idea of the passage, but the questions were more kind of CR questions... which I found more difficult....
Final result 620 (Q47, V28), IR( 8)

So, this is my story... I want to give one more chance to the exam... 'cos I really want to get into a TOP Ivy league MBA, however, this time I'll be working, so I could only study on the evening and during the weekend. I was thinking on signing up for examination after Easter, so I could have a 10-days period focused on the Gmat, previous to the exam

I am not sure:
- How to tackle it,
- What material to use
- How to strength my verbal skills and reflect it into the exam
- How to ace the 680-700 on the real exam

What do you think? Can someone give me some advice? Has anyone undergone a similar situation? What made you achieve your goal?

Thank you guys! ☺

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:02 am
Hi ams88,

Since your practice CAT scores are consistently higher than your Official Scores, something is clearly "off" in how you're practicing or in how you're facing Test Day (or both).

I have a few questions about how you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) What time of day did you take your CATs and what time of day was your Official GMAT?
3) Do you take your CATs at home or do you go to a different location?
4) Do you do anything during your CATs that is not 'test-like' (skipping sections, pausing the CAT, listening to music, etc.)?

5) How long is the ride to the Testing Center from your home?
6) On the Official GMAT, do you have to rush to finish any of the sections (and guess on a bunch of questions just to finish)? Do you finish any of the sections early?

Thankfully, the GMAT is a predictable, standardized Test, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. At this point in your studies though, you've likely developed some 'bad habits' that will take some time to get you out of. To hit your score goals, you'll likely need to invest in some new practice materials and learn/practice some new tactics.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:620

by ams88 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:24 pm
Hey Rich,

Thanks for your post. I agree that something must be wrong, but I need to figure out what is it

I am gonna answer your questions, to see if we can find where I am making the BIG MISTAKE

1. Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
No. In every CAT I completed the IR section, but not the Essay. In my 2nd prepartion, I only did the complete exam on the last CAT ( 670).

2. What time of day did you take your CATs and what time of day was your Official GMAT?
I always did it in the moorning, around 10, except the last one that I started at 12. My oficial exam was at 9:15

3. Do you take your CATs at home or do you go to a different location?
I always do them at home

4. Do you do anything during your CATs that is not 'test-like' (skipping sections, pausing the CAT, listening to music, etc.)?
I never pause the exam, or skip sections. What I did that is not "test-like" is:
- A couple of times, I checked my email from my cell phone during the break
- I didn't take the whole break, which I do on the real exam

5. How long is the ride to the Testing Center from your home?
The ride is around 20 minutes, both times my boyfriend drove me.

6. On the Official GMAT, do you have to rush to finish any of the sections (and guess on a bunch of questions just to finish)? Do you finish any of the sections early?
On the oficial GMAT I had to rush towards the end in both sections
- QUANTITATIVE - The 1st time I had to rush a lot towards the end, and do some blind guessing, on at least 4 or 5 of the last questions. On my 2nd attempt, I managed the time much better, however, I had to guess the last two questions.( I guessed a couple more on the middle of the test, 'cos I got stucked)
- VERBAL- 1st offcial exam, was a disaster, I did a lot of guessing... and I managed very badly the time. On my 2nd attempt, I did better... but the last Reading, I kind of rush it, and did not answer very confidently... The las 3 questions were 2 CR and 1 SC, the 2 cr I completely guessed ( I did not read the argument), the SC i did some Smart guessing... but I am not sure if I did it right... i had to rush a lot.

What kind of bad habits do you think I have developed? What type of material could help me to beat them, and achieve my GOAL?

Once again, thanks for your time and help :)

Ams88