GMAT Learning.. For those who still didnt crack 600 mark

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Learning's
I think its worth writing about the experience of GMAT rather than just waiting to improve my score. While my GMAT JOURNEY is still continuing and i am still striving to cross the 700 mark. But i would certainly like to add few points which i think may help few guys in their preparation
Few points i have learnt with my MBA journey
1) NEVER LEARN THE QUESTION: LEARN THE CONCEPT. REMEMBER SAME QUESTION WILL NEVER COME BUT THE CONCEPT WILL.
SO... HOW TO LEARN CONCEPT?
For sentence correction: Although people say that Manhattan SC is the best concept builder. I think the answer is yes or no. Yes because no other book is available in the market which is good.
No : Because it is too lengthy to learn each and every concept. It needs a lot of time and most of the guys who prepare for GMAT are the working guys and i assume that they don't have that luxury of studying full time.
So whats next.. How to go about it?
Start with OG. Search the common errors of SC. This way you will learn quick
2) Divide the OG questions in terms of concept . It is well written above each question of OG that which concept is being tested here. Make column with different concept name written on it. Eg: Parallelism( ques 2, 5, 10). You can also refer it from Manhattan guide but doing so (doing so is preferred to doing it, preferred over is wrong , prefer to is write) own make you learn quick.
If you want , you can use copy and pen if you think that writing makes you learn quickly.
Same theory goes with CR as well . Divide the question or just attempt the question and see if it is weakening or strengthening the question or which concept is used. This way you will get to know that how OG guys have actually attempted the question and what will be your strategy.
If you are planning to read Powerscore Bible for CR , then read the BIBLE , then do the same exercise. Check the questions at the end of each chapter of the book (Manhattan or Bible).
I will take RC concepts in the further sections
3) Never think that if you have come across some of the difficult questions in actual GMAT exam then you are getting a high score. I have got 2 bold face questions in my real exam and still i screwed my verbal section
4) Various forums are just be followed with a word of cautiousness . I have tried to follow them and tried each and every question. Believe me its suicidal . You just cant do all questions of this world. You should try to do as much require to make you comfortable.

5) Read ..Read.. Read.. Reading is worth investing.Economics times, NYtimes.. English newspapers specifically US newspapers must for CR , RC AND SOMEHOW FOR SC as well. So.. Important to take out 30 mins for your reading each day.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by bonetlobo » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:03 am
Hi! I am just about starting my prep and found your post very informative. However, you have not mentioned anything about your learning/recommendation in Quant. Though I feel I am relatively better in Quant, still would benefit by your experience.

Regards,
Bonet.