Query regarding Mock Tests

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Query regarding Mock Tests

by bilalshaheen » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:17 am
Hi,

I have general query regarding various mock tests.
I took around 6 Kaplan CAT and my average score was around 580 but when I took couple of tests from GmatPrep tool (free software which you get upon registration with mba.com) my score droped drastically to average 400.
Can someone please describe this discrepancy

Thanks

Best Regards,

Bilal

by Kiura » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:28 am
Well a test is always going to be an approximation of your capability at one given point in time, and can depend on a lot of factors. I would start with test conditions, where you more tired/stressed/etc. when taking the Gmatprep? There's always a number of external factors that can explain a one off poorer performance.

My understanding is that Kaplan CATs showed slightly lower results than normal, but maybe they have been trying to compensate for that and gone the other way around?

Anyway, if this is a once of thing, I would't loose too much sleep over it. Keep focusing on your studying, improve the weak points that you have identified and you'll probably see the next CATs improve again vs. base performance. Even the best athletes have outlier performance days :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by akhilsuhag » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:52 am
Kaplan used to show a highly conservative score in the past.

Now, however they seem to have over-compensated for it and the current versions tend to over-estimate your score.

Moreover, use CATs to practice your timing, gauge performance/weaknesses etc and do not fret on the scores. By experience no test can actually pin point your level. I scored a 680 on MGMAT; 760 on GMATPrep and ended up right in the middle- 720 on the real thing.

For some people it is the opposite. So, there are general patterns but you never know. GMATPrep is the closest although as people point out. I agree too as external factors might have affected my real take.

All the best :)
Please press "thanks" if you think my post has helped you.. Cheers!!

by bilalshaheen » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:27 am
Thanks a lot, really means a lot

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:02 am
Hi.

Your experience might be a great example illustrating the dangers of using only test prep company materials. Put it this way. Sometimes it seems as if people do a lot of preparation, thinking that they are preparing for the GMAT, when actually what they are doing is preparing for the CATs made by a particular test prep company.

So it is probably a good idea to take multiple official CATs, from GMAT Prep, PowerPrep and if necessary the GMAC Exam Pack. By doing this, one can get an accurate sense of what the test and official questions are like and how well prepared one is to take it.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:56 pm
Hey Bilal,

This is incredibly common. I would stay away from Kaplan's CATs. They aren't "bad," but I just don't think they stack up next to the official CATs.

The only four CATs you should put faith in score-wise are the GMATPrep 1, 2, 3, and 4. I'd stay away from that old Powerprep software. It is simply far too outdated and inaccurate. The diagnostic in the OG15 is simply a pen-and-paper exam, and is not reflective of the actual exam's scoring algorithm. By all means do those questions and learn from them, but you should take the GMATPrep's (and most likely take them each twice) before you take your GMAT if you want to be in a strong place.

Beyond the official CATs, the other CATs I'd recommend are the Veritas Prep and the MGMAT.

MGMAT's Quant can sometimes be a bit harder than the actual GMAT, in my opinion, and can focus on some obscure rules, but they are indisputably excellent. The Veritas CATs are also good, but I am biased since I wrote some of the Verbal questions on them. :-)

And if you're interested in a hypothetical score generator based on multiple test prep company's CATs, GMATClub has created this fun one: https://gmatclub.com/gmat-score-calculator/

However, my honest opinion is I do not recommend my students take the GMAT until they have score 20 points HIGHER than their target score on at least two GMAC CATs and one private company's CAT.

So for example, if you wanted a 700, you aren't likely to be guaranteed to hit that unless you've scored a 720 or above on the GMATPrep 1 and 2, and a MGMAT CAT. Make sense? Be safe, not sorry. :-)

Good luck!
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:11 pm
Hi Bilal,

A drop of approximately 200 points means that you really need to examine HOW you took your CATs. The idea that the Kaplan CATs would artificially "inflate" your score by that many points is NOT correct.

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections) each time?
2) What time of day and day of the week did you take each CAT?
3) Did you do anything unrealistic while taking the CAT (pause the Test, listen to music, etc.)?
4) Where did you take each CAT?
5) Did you take the two 8-minute breaks?
Etc.

While we're on the subject, how long have you been studying?
What resources have you been using?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:05 pm
One other factor to consider: were you taking the practice tests under realistic timing conditions? I find that some students will hit pause or take extra-long breaks on practice tests, neither of which you can do on the real thing.

If you ran out of time on the GMATPrep tests and missed several questions, it's possible that their scoring algorithm penalized you more than Kaplan's.

As a general rule, take every practice test as if it were the real thing!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education