Need Help: GMAT - 760(41 V, 51M) 26months WorkExp

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I gave GMAT last week and got 760. I want to know my chances for top B School. I am totally confused and have no idea how to proceed further. Should I apply this year or wait for a year or two?

Here is my data:
1. Acads: 76.1%. B Tech in Electronics and Comm from National Institute of Tech, India
2. GMAT : 760; Verbal - 41 (92%ile) ;Maths - 51 (99%ile)
3. Work Exp: I am working as a Software Engg with a reputed semiconductor MNC. I have no mangerial experience, but I have owned two internal tools.( I did most of the design, development)
4. Extra Curricular: At school level, I have led cricket team; at college level, I have organised various cultural events.
5. Awards: None

I can get one good recommendation from my previous manager, I am not sure of the other one. I think, I will have to get my second reco from my college, which I think won't help much.

-Thanks

Additional Info

by sharad2833 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:20 am
My AWA score is bad - 3.5
I want to do MBA in Finance

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:11 am
Dear sharad2833,

Your AWA is a little bit of a concern, but as long as you submit well-written essays it will not be an issue. I'm not sure waiting another year will do anything for your application unless you are sure you will be promoted or gain additional responsibility between Aug 2009 - Aug 2010. You have strong numbers (GMAT/GPA) so you are competitive for most top programs. The challenge is to find a way to positively distinguish yourself in the applicant pool. This is faced by all international students, and especially engineers from India. I encourage you to start working on those applications and make them as compelling as possible.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by sharad2833 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:42 am
Thanks for the quick reply.

Will it help if I wait for an year and in the meantime I do some certificate courses in equity, derivatives or something related to investment banking.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:36 am
The only reason to wait a year is if you know you will have a professional opportunity you cannot pass up. Doing a certificate program is something you can do in the next year while you are applying if you wish to do one, but it won't add enough significant value to put off applying (if you want to start business school in 2009, that is).

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me