2 weeks, Veritas Course Alum, OG book 13th completed, tips

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello, I have studied a total time of about a year I'd say. I took Veritas' online course last august-sep. with several PT scores of 650 through 700. Come test day on nov. 3rd, I did not reach 600. So I have now been using the GMAC OG 13th edition and just completed it and I am almost done with the review. My most recent CAT from GMAC was a 640. I was pleasantly happy seeing as I need about a 620 or so to get into Binghamton University's MBA.

I can consistently score a 45 raw on verbal. My weakness seems to be Verbal, with an abysmal 25 raw score on my last official test (Nov. 3rd). With two weeks left, I am just looking for final tips. It seems the Verbal in the GMAC book is tougher and more reliable than Veritas' questions, but who knows. While I have more review, I am looking for 1-2 good CATS before Test Day. I have taken Veritas' tests, and the exam pack 1 and default pack from OG.
My highest score is a 590. Any help appreciated!!!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:25 pm
Hi Kevn23,

You're scoring close enough to your goal that you could hit it and be done in 2 weeks. Since you don't have too much remaining time before Test Day, you should spend some time fixing the "little things" that you miss when you take your CATs. Picking up these missing points would help you to score well above 620.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:39 pm
Hi Kevng23,

Here are some last minute strategies which will help you score well in your GMAT.

Take as many CATs or mock tests as possible. Now, remember one thing. In GMAT preparation, more than taking a test, it is important how you analyze your performance in the same. Typically, if you spend 2 hours taking a test, spend at least 4-5 hours in analyzing it. Go through each and every question and try to identify better, smarter and a faster way to do it. Make a note of all the points and make sure you apply the same in the next test.

To score high in verbal, it is important that you get to the Verbal section stress free. So, make sure that you don't carry the stress & pressure of the previous sections to the Verbal section.

Lastly, it is essential to work on the pacing of the questions & how much time you spend on each question.Do leave enough time to attempt the last few question & don't rush through these.

If you do this consistently, you will definitely see improvement in your scores.

Let us know if require any further guidance.Good Luck!
www.manyagroup.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by BestGMATEliza » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:08 am
You are definitely on the right track to reaching your goal score, so good job! The last important step is to build your mental endurance. I think of it like training for a marathon for your brain. Just like people aren't able to run for 4 hours without training, people can't concentrate and answer complicate problems for four hours straight without training. Your studying so far has been a great build up, but now its time to take around 5 full length practice tests (including IR and AWA) to train your brain to concentrate for the full 3.5 hours it will have to on test day.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Eliza Chute
Best GMAT Prep Courses
GMAT course comparison and reviews
Your one stop for all your GMAT studying needs!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:42 pm
MGMAT SC is pretty bodacious and widely accepted as one of the best (if not the best) Verbal book on the market if you haven't killed it yet, but since you have such a limited time, I think you REALLY need to hone in on what types of questions you're still missing (and more importantly) WHY. Have you Error Log-ed your previous CATs or have you just done a quick review-and-move-on?

I would actually recommend you take (or retake) the GMATPrep's 1, 2, 3, and 4 in the next two weeks, and error log them in between. You should be filling your head with official questions in this remaining time.

Find out:
-what questions are you missing AGAIN?
-what is your weakest concepts in SC, and you weakest Q-type in CR and RC?
-WHY are you missing these questions? Is it a strategy, content, or pacing issue?
-what strategy adjustments/use of scratch pad do you need to make to become MORE thorough?
-what Q-types are taking up the MOST of your time? how can you work on pacing drills to get more confident on them under timing conditions?

Based on your Error Log, I'd choose 3 concepts and spend 3-4 days attacking those limited concepts by re-reading Veritas books, BTG blogs, watching YouTube lessons, doing practice questions, reviewing ALL OG13 questions, etc. Anything that deals exclusively and explicitly with that concept!

Go for thoroughness and depth of knowledge over breadth! You can't do EVERYTHING in 14 days, but you CAN make sizable gains in a small number of content areas.

Good luck!
Attachments
Error Log Template.xlsx
(12.03 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)