Profile eval :-)

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Profile eval :-)

by vishalpathak » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:29 pm
Hi mbaMission,

I am an Indian IT guy with over 7 years of experience.

The following are a few highlights of my profile

1. CFA Level 2 candidate
2. Oracle ACE Associate (close to 500 people across the world are oracle aces)
3. Have worked in Australia for 9 months.
4. Have a H1B visa and I am working in Philadelphia.
5. Technical blogger on Oracle products since 2011. Have over to 130000 hits on my blog
6. I have written 3 technical whitepapers in my company
7. I am the author of a book on Oracle technology published by a UK publication company.
8. I am a Sun certified java programmer
9. I am an Oracle certified associate
10. I have invested over 100000$ in Indian real estate

I plan to gun for the top 10 B-school in US. Kindly let me know the kind of score I should get to have a realistic chance of getting there.

Regards,
Vishal

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:37 am
Hi Vishal,

Thanks for posting. I like your international experience, and it sounds like you have decent communication skills via your blogging etc, which can be a nice plus for an IT professional. I don't know much more about your professional and personal accomplishments and any progression over your career, etc, or why you want the degree. Keep in mind that there are MANY Indian IT professionals applying to top US b-schools these days, so it will be important to try and showcase what makes you different, and also to show skills beyond technical skills, and finally to really show why you need the MBA and why each school is right for you. In terms of GMAT which you asked about, the top 5/top 10 schools often average 710-730.. so certainly scoring at that level or above will help more than scoring below their average. Keep in mind mind b-school admissions is about more than just the GMAT though... a high score is NECESSARY (in most cases) but not SUFFICIENT to get you in.... schools will look at the big picture of who you are professionally and personally through all of your application components as well. Good luck on the process and the GMAT prep!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by vishalpathak » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:46 am
mbaMissionJenK wrote:Hi Vishal,

Thanks for posting. I like your international experience, and it sounds like you have decent communication skills via your blogging etc, which can be a nice plus for an IT professional. I don't know much more about your professional and personal accomplishments and any progression over your career, etc, or why you want the degree. Keep in mind that there are MANY Indian IT professionals applying to top US b-schools these days, so it will be important to try and showcase what makes you different, and also to show skills beyond technical skills, and finally to really show why you need the MBA and why each school is right for you. In terms of GMAT which you asked about, the top 5/top 10 schools often average 710-730.. so certainly scoring at that level or above will help more than scoring below their average. Keep in mind mind b-school admissions is about more than just the GMAT though... a high score is NECESSARY (in most cases) but not SUFFICIENT to get you in.... schools will look at the big picture of who you are professionally and personally through all of your application components as well. Good luck on the process and the GMAT prep!
Thanks Jen.

Having a target of 710-730 will definitely help me in my preparations.

I just have one final question. I am 28 years old and will be 29 this March. Am I too old to apply?

I had read in one of the blogs that if a candidate is too old, the adcom feels that he is not a shooting star. This negatively affects the chances of getting selected. Is this true?

Thanking you in anticipation of your help.

Regards,
Vishal

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:39 pm
Hi Vishal,

Sure thing..... I wouldn't say that you are too old per se... you WILL be older than the average accepted applicants at many schools, which just means you really need to show a) that you know this IS the right next step for you and have a clear explanation for the MBA, and b) why NOW is the right time in your career to pursue this. It can also depend on what your specific post-MBA goals are.

Good luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders