Chances of Northwestern or Booth part time

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi all - Just looking for some advice since i am planning on applying this summer to a few MBA programs. Mainly i am curious about how my chances might be applying with a low GPA.

Stats
- Undergrad degree from University of Illinois School of Business
- GPA 2.8
- GMAT 650
- Hispanic 27 year old male
- Interned at a boutique investment bank
- Worked three years for Big 4 firm performing advisory services
- Currently senior analyst in FP&A for fortune 500 company
- Volunteer at the local Goodwill

I am looking to apply NW and Booth part time but maybe also Vanderbilt, Georgetown, Texas, and Yale full time. Any input is appreciated thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:47 am
Hello

Booth offers one of the best programs for part-time MBA and getting in won't be easy. Though the part-time programs are not as competitive as the full time programs, a 670 may not cut it especially when you have a very low GPA. Generally for schools such as Booth and Kellogg, there are very few (less than 1%) students with a GPA below 3.0, which means only a countable few. And the only way they make it is with a higher than average GMAT score and an outstanding overall profile.

If you really want to study at Booth or Kellogg, I suggest you retake the test and score around 730 - 740. If there is a genuine reason for low GPA and an upward trend, that might help your case. Though there is no strict cut-off, there will always be students with better stats. So, it is better if you make your profile stand out in-terms of your GMAT score.

In your case, you certainly want adcoms to focus on your work-experience so as to give them reasons to overlook your GPA. Tell me more about your achievements and accomplishments at work, leadership experiences and details of your extracurricular activities. It will be easier to assess your chances for some of the other schools.

Do get back to me.
Last edited by interviewbay22 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
All the Best

www.InterviewBay.com

Application Reviews &Mock Interviews by Alumni of Your Target B-School

Check out our free e-book on How to Get into a Top Business School here https://www.interviewbay.com/school/how- ... -ebook.php

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:24 pm
Hey there! Your test score is in range (a bit on the low side) at both Booth's and Kellogg's part-time program, but as I'm sure you're aware your GPA is a smidge low. That said, you should consider retaking the GMAT to boost your score a bit. You have some strong work experience where you have shown progression, but your giveback could use some work. Which is more of an issue for FT programs than PT but still a consideration.

Now, that said, you're the right age and underrepresented and that's what'll really help you out here! So here's what I'd say. Either try retaking the test (could mean $$) or make sure you point to your quant skillset. Given what you do, you definitely have one. If you could take a course or two to bolster that GPA, that'd be brilliant but depending on when you want to apply, might not be possible. But a slightly higher GMAT would go a long way to silence the naysayers! If you're interested in FT programs, your yellow flags will become orange.

But a forum post only helps so much and there's a lot more that goes into your profile and chances than just a few stats. If you want to chat, I'd love to talk this out with you - it might be useful to figure out a path forward that's a bit more holistic. If you're interested, drop us line [here]!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!