Entered Phase-II of preparation

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Entered Phase-II of preparation

by Aimhigh » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:45 pm
I gave my first practice exam few days back and scored 610 (Q48 & V27). I am hugely disappointed with my verbal score especially when I did pretty good in practice questions from different materials.

As I know, being non-native speaker, that Verbal is my week area since Day-one, I was really not much bothered about taking practice tests, and finally I took it just one week before my scheduled date (I was able to squeeze just 3 week of preparation time from my tight travelling consulting job schedule. Two weeks for preparation and one week for giving practice exams).

As my practice exam made me realized that I am not yet ready for exam, I postponed it to end of next month. I am very confident that I can easily push my Quant to another 3 points, I am now focusing more on my Verbal. I started going through OG guide and learning from each and every verbal question. I want to follow suggestions on this forum to take a practice exam atleast once a week. Lets see how it goes. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:41 pm
Hi Aimhigh,

A 610 is an above-average performance, so you shouldn't get too down on yourself. Most Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) on their studies, so the fact that you scored 610 after just 3 weeks of work is a pretty good sign that you could be scoring higher IF you put in the necessary time/effort and use the proper study materials.

There's a big difference between doing practice problems in a book and facing a full, adaptive Verbal section at the END of the GMAT, so beyond the obvious need for knowledge and tactics, you also have to properly train for the physical and psychological challenges of Test Day. It sounds like you've given yourself enough time to study before you retest, so you CAN properly train for all of this.

What is your goal score?
What GMAT study materials are you currently using?
When is your next Official GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:02 pm
Hi Aimhigh,

This is indeed a wise idea that you have rescheduled your exam date.To improve on your verbal section, besides going through OG guides, it would be best if you start reading articles, science journals , business tabloids and read them online and figure out for yourself if you can understand the language and the main idea present in the passage. This will not only improve your vocabulary but will also enhance your grasping power of the passages.Also there are idioms posted on this forum , do have a look at them too.

www.manyagroup.com

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:32 am
Hi Aimhigh,

I wouldn't be disappointed, a 610 on your first CAT is a great start! Here's what you need:

1) Solid strategies for CR, SC, and RC. By strategy, I mean a step-by-step approach and a way of breaking down each question on scratch paper that yields the correct result for you, EVERY time.

2) Mastery of SC concepts. Time to sit down with the MGMAT SC book and do EVERY SC question in the OG. How well do you know how the more challenging concepts present themselves?

3) Regular CATs. Sounds like you studied a lot before you took your first CAT. Now that you're off to the races, I'd recommend you take 1 CAT a week and create a detailed Error Log after finishing. Create a schedule TODAY, either with a tutor or alone. And stick with it. Timing is very important.

4) Don't ignore RC. Summarization is NOT the key. Answer the questions and break down the STRUCTURE of the passage as you go. Don't obsess over the confusing details. Predict an answer as often as you can, and use process of elimination as you examine the answer choices. A high level of discernment on RC will lead to higher CR scores as well.

5) Know (REALLY know!) why you get questions wrong. Some students believe that more questions answered = better scores on the GMAT. Fundamentally, answered a ton of GMAT practice questions will only lead to faster pacing, but without solid strategies and disciplined reviewing, your overall score will not improve. Don't be a lazy reviewer!

6) Study in shorter blocks. Don't burn yourself out as you aim for better GMAT scores. It's better to study in shorter 2-3 blocks, taking frequent breaks to eat, stretch, and exercise, rather than to park yourself in front of your computer and books for 10 hours at a time.

You can find more free advice on my blog: https://gmatrockstar.com/blog/

Let me know if you have any questions!
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)