car pool

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

car pool

by vipulgoyal » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:41 pm
If only the people using a carpool and only small cars with single passengers were allowed to use the roads that remain over crowded throughout the day, it would greatly reduce the congestion on these roads. This will also reduce the accident rates.
Which of the following has been assumed by the above passage?

"¢ Using small cars would be more convenient for people.
"¢ As yet, not many people use a carpool.
"¢ A reduction in traffic would lead to people driving at a higher speed.
"¢ All the roads remain overcrowded.
"¢ The roads are not built to cope with high traffic.

OA given in the source is B I m not convinced with OA because of extreme word Only in stem, after negating As yet, many people use a carpool. but still not all people using car pool and yet "B" doesnt specify abt single driver car....... plz shed some light

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:29 pm
Hi vipulgoyal,

What is the source of this question? I ask because it's awkwardly worded and doesn't follow the style/patterns of CRs that you'll see on the Official GMAT.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members

by MartyMurray » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:50 pm
vipulgoyal wrote:If only the people using a carpool and only small cars with single passengers were allowed to use the roads that remain over crowded throughout the day, it would greatly reduce the congestion on these roads. This will also reduce the accident rates.
Which of the following has been assumed by the above passage?

"¢ Using small cars would be more convenient for people.
"¢ As yet, not many people use a carpool.
"¢ A reduction in traffic would lead to people driving at a higher speed.
"¢ All the roads remain overcrowded.
"¢ The roads are not built to cope with high traffic.

OA given in the source is B I m not convinced with OA because of extreme word Only in stem, after negating As yet, many people use a carpool. but still not all people using car pool and yet "B" doesnt specify abt single driver car....... plz shed some light
For the argument to hold true, the situation described has to be different from the current situation. That there are differences between the two is therefore an assumption upon which the argument is based.

Now let's look the answer choices.

A) Convenience is irrelevant to reducing congestion and crash rates.

B) This sounds right. If many people on the roads are already using car pools, then a situation characterized by people only using car pools or driving small cars probably will not be much different from the current one and so will not have significantly lower congestion.

C) This actually could be seen as weakening the argument and is at least not an assumption that underlies this argument.

D) This fact that currently the roads remain overcrowded is irrelevant.

E) The sounds as if maybe it has some relevance, but it is not necessary for the argument to work.

So B is the only answer that works.

Having said that, I totally see your point. The truth is that two conditions are described, using car pools and using smaller cars and so even if B were not true, it's possible that using smaller cars would have some effect on its own. Further, even if many people were already using car pools, an increase in the use of car pools could still result in some reduction in congestion and crash rates. So possibly there are some issues with this question.

Having said that, I wonder about the following.

Are you somehow being too scientific or particular in how you approach questions? While what you are saying makes some sense and I am guessing this flawed question is not an official question, the best answer is pretty clear here. Getting to the best answer is what rocking the GMAT is about, and so if there's a choice that we can all agree is the best answer, then your ways of finding best answers better get you to that choice. Maybe they did, and you were just making the point that the OA seems flawed. Just seemed worth mentioning in case they didn't.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by vipulgoyal » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:53 am
OK, let me put that way

Conclusion:- If only the people using a carpool and only small cars with single passengers were allowed, it would reduce the congestion

Assumption:- As yet, not many people use a carpool.

negate it :- As yet, many people use a carpool.

Event after people are using car pool Still congestion can not be reduced, because stem says that car pool AND single driver car, my point is if it would have been car pool OR single driver car then either of one can help in reducing congestion

BtW source is GMATclub, and i was not convinced by ne explaination

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members

by MartyMurray » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:13 pm
While I still find that the question is answerable, if flawed, what you have said sounds good and is a tight analysis of the issue with this question.

I suggest sending a message describing this issue to support (at) gmatclub (dot) com, referencing the question number.

There are often issues with practice questions, and one way they get fixed is through getting reported by users.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:59 pm
Agreed with the discussion here. Don't LOVE the question, but you're breaking it down well. Would work on refining your approach to every Assumption CR. Here's what I'd suggest:

Step 1 - Identify the Type of Assumption (Necessary or Sufficient?)
Step 2 - Break Down the Argument (find the conclusion and evidence)
Step 3 - Write Down a Prediction
Step 4 - Eliminate Non-Assumptions
Step 5 - Select the Choice Most Required by the Conclusion

Let's try a sample question:

Critics of the popular sugar additive aspartame say it is linked to a higher risk of diabetes, headaches, vision problems, high blood pressure, and various cancers. In addition, they claim aspartame prevents the body from absorbing vitamins and minerals efficiently. Since aspartame is mainly found in soft drinks, if soft drink manufacturers put warning labels describing the harmful effects of the aspartame on all products containing it, consumers will certainly decrease their intake of aspartame.

Which of the following is an assumption the author makes?

Here's how we could break the argument down on our scratch pad:

C: Warning soda labels decrease A-intake
E: Mainly found in soft drinks

Notice the Concept Shift here between "soft drinks" and "decrease intake." What's the author assuming?

A: People aren't consuming aspartame in other ways. People will heed warning labels.

Now we can evaluate the answer choices:
(A) Consumers who buy soft drinks with aspartame usually purchase other items containing aspartame.
(B) Everyone who currently drinks aspartame-filled soda and reads the new warning labels will buy those sodas less frequently.
(C) Most purchasers of aspartame-filled sodas do not know about the harmful effects of aspartame.
(D) Most people who regularly consume products with aspartame drink more soda than other aspartame-containing food and drink items.
(E) Individuals who drink a lot of soft drinks do not typically consume vitamin-rich foods.

The correct response is (C). The argument is assuming that people who know about the dangers of aspartame will therefore decrease their consumption of it. If the author believes that knowledge will inspire action (cause and effect), he must also believe that there is a lack of knowledge about aspartame's bad side effects. (C) reinforces the premise upon which the conclusion is based.

Hope this helps!
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)