The most economical B school

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

The most economical B school

by maanavm » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:03 am
Hi

This is Maanav and I am from India.I am planning to apply to one or two of the schools among IMD, Oxford, Insead and Oxford.

The reason I have chosen these particular ones because I am looking at options which are good and economical as well because in the long term I want to start something of my own and hence don't want to have a huge loan after comleting MBA.

My GMAT score is 740: Quant 47 (70%) and Verbal 45 (99%).

My academic background

High school: 95%
Senior Secondary: 91%
Graduation: 72% (Engineering)

Work Experience:

I worked for 16 months at a company called Zomato.com, in a sales and marketing role i.e. acquiring new clients (restaurants) to advertise on the website and then managing their campaign and client management too.

November 2014 I left my job and started a small firm with my colleagues whose objective is to mange the online presence of clients (restaurants again) on various media like Facebook, Instagram, Zomato, etc. and to design the best possible marketing strategies for them.

I wish to do an MBA in Marketing so as to get a better understanding of the field and would like to work as Marketing Mananger in an established Marketing firm before starting my own marketing firm in the future (long term).

I know i have given an information overload but if you could please advise me as to which school would be a good bet for me, I will be highly obliged.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:02 am
Hello

Overall you have a pretty good profile. Your stats are very good with a high GPA and a GMAT score above average for all the schools out there. This is a good start. I would advise you to get your undergrad marks converted to the 4 point scale as this would make it easier for adcoms to understand that you are a competitive candidate.

I especially liked your reasons for pursuing MBA with a specialization in marketing. Your reasons are quite convincing as you have work experience in this area followed by entrepreneurship experience as well, which is quite valuable in general.

However, you have not written a lot about your leadership experiences, achievements, extracurricular activities etc. Tell me more about your experiences and i will be able to give you a comprehensive profile review.

Kellogg, Wharton and Stanford are some of the best schools for marketing. You can go through this article to know about the top 10 schools in US for a career in marketing https://www.interviewbay.com/blog/top-bu ... -marketing

Do get back to me

All the Best

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

www.InterviewBay.com

Application Reviews & Mock Interviews by Alumni of Your Target B-school

Check out our free e-book on How to Get Into a Top Business School https://www.interviewbay.com/school/how- ... -ebook.php

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by maanavm » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:36 pm
Hi Interviewbay22,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I used the WES GPA converter to convert my percentage to 4.0 scale and it reports my GPA to be 4/4.

As for achievements, leadership experience and extracurricular activities, please see below:

Achievements:

Got promoted from Sales and Marketing manager to Key Accounts Manager within a year of working at Zomato.com.

On a personal front, lost 16 kgs (35 pounds) in 3 months by following a very disciplined workout and diet routine.

Leadership Experience:

Co-founded The BlueBeans Marketing Solutions, a firm that manages the online presence of restaurants and have already acquired 5 clients in past 2 months.

Trained new joinees at Zomato.com as a part of the mentorship programme.

As the Logistics Head for the Annual Cultural Fest of my college brought down costs by nearly 30%.

As the Head Boy of my school, led the Students Council to organise and manage Events like Annual Cultural Function and Annual Sports Day.

Extracurricular Activities:

As a new fitness enthusiast, I enjoy reading articles and blogs about fitness and have been helping a few of my friends in their quest to get fitter by helping them plan their diets and workout regimes.

Enjoy trekking and have successfully completed 2 treks in the last year and will plan another one for this summer.

A movie buff and enjoy watching movies of all sorts and genres.

During college, was part of the PADHAKU program under National Social Services under which I worked with under privileged Pre-primary students to help them with their coursework and specifically to improve their handwriting.

Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:43 pm
Hello again

With a 4.0 GPA and 740, I don't think you will have any problem getting into a good business school so long as you prepare your application perfectly. Despite the short span of your work experience, you have achieved quite a lot. Promotion within your first year as well as leadership experience there put your profile in a very good light. Entrepreneurship experience, especially when the venture has been successful adds a lot of value to your profile and the adcoms will certainly take a note of this. You have good volunteer experience but your ECs are a little weak. Are you pursuing volunteer work or any other extracurricular activity outside of work?

The next step is to finalize schools and prepare your essays. This part can take a lot of time so plan out well. You certainly have very interesting stories to write about in your essays. I would advice you to start working on it.

I understand that you want to attend a budget school, but with your profile, I think it is worth a shot to apply to some of the top 10 schools. It is always best to apply to a few top schools, schools within your reach and a few safe school. INSEAD should certainly be on your list. But you can also take a look at Stanford, Northwestern - Kellogg and UMich-Ross.

Let me know what you think.
All the Best

www.InterviewBay.com

Application Reviews &Mock Interviews by Alumni of Your Target B-School

Check out our free e-book on How to Get into a Top Business School here https://www.interviewbay.com/school/how- ... -ebook.php

Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:22 pm
You have a great profile and have a good shot at all of those schools. However, I wouldn't call any of them economical. Most top business schools cost into the six figures. If you are looking to save money, you'll have to go down the rankings list a bit before you start to see something that could be considered economical. Good luck to you!