630 - 5 days to go....

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

630 - 5 days to go....

by venkat291182 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:52 am
All: Below are my stats for 5 GMAT practice test (2 GMAT, 1 Kaplan, 1 Manhattan and 1 Veritas)

Total Quant Verbal
Mean 628 44 32.5
Median 630 43.5 32
Max 670 47 38
Minimum 590 42 28

My target score is between 670-700. And my exam date is 20th (5 days to go). My major problem is time management and silly mistakes. Sometimes, i spend too much time on a problem going round i circled and which messes everything up.

Do you think i can reach my target score range? What should i focus on in the next 4 days? I plan to give 2 tests over the weekend.

Any advice will help

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:58 am
I typically suggest that students achieve their target score on at least 2 practice tests before they take the official test. However, it's to late to reschedule, so let's focus on the two issues that you've identified: silly mistakes and time management.

If silly mistakes are hurting your score, then it's important that you identify and categorize these mistakes so that, during tests, you can easily spot situations in which you're prone to making errors. I write about this and other strategies in the following article for BTG: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/09/ ... n-the-gmat

As far as time management is concerned, I suggest that you use the following Milestone Charts to keep you on track:
These times are easily remembered so you can quickly jot them on your noteboard on test day. This (and more) is covered in our free video at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1244

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by venkat291182 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:43 am
Brent: Thanks for the response.

I have been using your milestone charts (and your strategy) and it has helped. I think i need to let of questions i get stuck on.

And will review the silly mistakes post. Thanks!!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:47 am
venkat291182 wrote: I think i need to let go of questions i get stuck on.
Good idea. On the GMAT, striving for perfection is a sure-fire way to lower your score.

Many students loathe the idea of guessing on any question and moving on. However, it's important to keep in mind that:
- it's possible to answer several questions incorrectly and still score 800 on the GMAT.
- your guess might be correct (especially if you've eliminated some answer choices)
- even if you guess incorrectly, the question might be an experimental question, in which case an incorrect answer won't affect your score anyway.
- if you're two or more minutes behind, you'll likely end up guessing at some point anyway, so why not do so sooner than later and, in the process, relieve some of the anxiety that these time constraints can produce?

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:07 am
Hi venkat291182,

With just 5 days remaining before Test Day, I would suggest that you NOT do anything too strenuous. To that end, taking 2 CATs this weekend is NOT a good idea. Taking a FULL CAT requires a great deal of effort and energy; taking 2 in the final days before your Official GMAT might lead to some unexpected 'burn out' (which we want to avoid). Some light review and practice is preferable - you'll likely perform better on Test Day if you go in well-rested.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by venkat291182 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:14 am
Thanks Brent and Rick...

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:53 pm
Hey there -- thanks for all the data. Helpful. A few thoughts to share here:

1. Agree with the notion that you'd love to see your practice scores get there at least once/twice before you look to land the plane on the real exam.

2. Would love to see a bit more data to understand the time management concerns you have. Generally, there should almost never be a problem you spend more than 3 minutes on -- and most, you would want to keep under 2.30. I like employing the analogy of a traffic light -- do a quick gut check at the 1 minute mark and the 2 minute mark. If you ever feel like your confidence level on a problem would register as a 'red light' ... it's probably time to move on to another problem.

Hope that makes sense.

Good luck!!

-Brian
venkat291182 wrote:All: Below are my stats for 5 GMAT practice test (2 GMAT, 1 Kaplan, 1 Manhattan and 1 Veritas)

Total Quant Verbal
Mean 628 44 32.5
Median 630 43.5 32
Max 670 47 38
Minimum 590 42 28

My target score is between 670-700. And my exam date is 20th (5 days to go). My major problem is time management and silly mistakes. Sometimes, i spend too much time on a problem going round i circled and which messes everything up.

Do you think i can reach my target score range? What should i focus on in the next 4 days? I plan to give 2 tests over the weekend.

Any advice will help

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by brianlange77 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:59 pm
One other thought --- I also firmly recommend that you 'shut things down' at least 36 hours before the actual exam. At that stage of the game, it is as much about mental and physical energy as it is out trying to cram in one more piece of data.

Good luck!!

-Brian
venkat291182 wrote:All: Below are my stats for 5 GMAT practice test (2 GMAT, 1 Kaplan, 1 Manhattan and 1 Veritas)

Total Quant Verbal
Mean 628 44 32.5
Median 630 43.5 32
Max 670 47 38
Minimum 590 42 28

Any advice will help

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:02 pm
Hi venkat291182,

Wish you the best for your GMAT.Remember cracking GMAT is not just about working hard but working smart as well.Just focus and achieve your target score.

www.manyagroup.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by brianlange77 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:00 am
venkat291182 wrote:Thanks Brent and Rick...
How did things net out for you? Hope you were able to reach your goals and objectives with the GMAT!!

Best of luck.

-Brian

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:00 am

Total Quant Verbal
Mean 628 44 32.5
Median 630 43.5 32
Max 670 47 38
Minimum 590 42 28

Any advice will help
Hi Venkat,

Silly mistakes happens when you start panicking about the time.Don't do any studying on the last day before your GMAT. Find some way to release some of that pent up anxiety.Do some mindfulness meditation.

Take a Zen-like attitude. You've put in the time. You've done the studying. Once you're in that testing center all you can do is answer the question on screen in front of you. Do not spend too much time on any question.If you feel stuck, try the strategies that you have learnt so far.Remember, GMAT is not only about working hard but working smart as well.Finally, accept that guessing is part of this exam. Manage your time. Keep moving. And do not panic if the test feels hard. It feels hard for everyone.

Let us know how you do. Good luck!