doubtSC 1

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

doubtSC 1

by aditya8062 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:28 am
In the English-Speaking world Anton Chekhov is by far better known for his plays than for his short stories, but it was during his lifetime that Chekhov's stories made him popular while his plays were given a more ambivalent reception, even by his fellow writers.

A)by far better known for his plays than for his short stories, but it was during his lifetime that
B)by far better known for his plays than he was for his short stories, but during his lifetime
C)Known far better for his plays than he was for his short stories, but during his lifetime
D)far better known for his plays than were his short stories, but it was during his lifetime that
E)far better known for his plays than for his short stories, but during his lifetime

my doubt:: i want to understand the usage of "by far". what makes option A so wrong? i got these following sentences regarding he usage of "by far" . kindly tell me if these constructions are rightly marked as "right" or "wrong"

Peter is by far more intelligent than his friends." ------>WRONG
"Peter is far more intelligent than his friends." ------> CORRECT
"Peter is more intelligent than his friends by far." ----->CORRECT

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:93 members
GMAT Score:750

by brianlange77 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:50 pm
Hey -- I recall this one being tackled before. Take a look here and see if this helps -- https://www.beatthegmat.com/anton-chekhov-t111329.html

If not, send me a note back and we can chat further.

Best of luck!

-Brian

Merci, Danke, Grazie, Gracias -- Whichever way you say it, if you found my post helpful, please click on the 'thank' icon in the top right corner of this post.

And I encourage you to click on 'follow' to track all my posts -- all the cool kids are doing it! :-)