How do I make D/S questions click?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

How do I make D/S questions click?

by Ancilla » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:36 pm
I've been working on some D/S questions but it's just not clicking and it shows in my scores. I'm getting the easier questions wrong and when I sit down to review it, I think: Of course! Why didn't I think of that?

I know it's a matter of shifting my way of seeing things but is it just a matter of doing enough problems, drilling, and reviewing problems again and again to really get it?

Thanks!

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:42 am
Ancilla wrote:I've been working on some D/S questions but it's just not clicking and it shows in my scores. I'm getting the easier questions wrong and when I sit down to review it, I think: Of course! Why didn't I think of that?

I know it's a matter of shifting my way of seeing things but is it just a matter of doing enough problems, drilling, and reviewing problems again and again to really get it?
That's pretty much what I did, and it worked.

The ones with the seemingly simple math are often the ones that get you.

Also, I use things like meditation to find any resistance I might have to seeing what there is to see or any desire I might have to get problems wrong. That can help A LOT. If a person has unconscious reasons for getting them wrong or not scoring high on the test, the wrong answers can just keep showing up. More generally, performance can change dramatically with just a little change in psychology, attitude, confidence or patterns of response to challenges.

There are patterns to how they trick you, by the way. For instance, they often set it up in such a way that C seems like the right answer. This is often called a C trap. Once you become aware of the possibility of a C trap, you are less likely to be sucked in.

Another common pattern is two statements looking different and actually giving the same information, which may be sufficient or insufficient in both cases.

Another thing that can be useful is noticing that one of the statements gives a specific piece of information that is obviously not sufficient for answering the question. Generally that is a tip off of some sort, often that that information is a key piece of information that is necessary for answering the question.

Often you can get clues from the statements, so that before you see the answer at least you don't jump to the wrong one.

So basically, doing what you said should pretty much do the trick. Enough of that and DS becomes natural. At the same time you might be able to speed up the process by doing an online search for more of the kinds of patterns and tips I mentioned above, and by becoming more self aware and doing some things to adjust your patterns of response to challenges you could turbo charge your performance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:16 am
Most people struggle with Data Sufficiency (DS) questions. This question type is totally unique to the GMAT, so it's foreign territory.

If you're looking for some extra DS resources, we have a free set of videos that cover everything you need to know: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-data-sufficiency

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:29 am
Hi Ancilla,

What GMAT resources have you been using during your studies? Are you trying to "self-teach" when it comes to DS questions or are you following a set series of "steps" that you learned from a Book or Course?

When it comes to DS questions, there are some tactics/patterns that you can take advantage of, regardless of the type of DS question or its complexity.

1) DS questions are often based on Number Property patterns. When you see Number Property "vocabulary" in a prompt, sometimes it's beneficial to jot down some quick notes on the "possibilities" that are defined by a given situation. For example, if you know that (X)(Y) > 0, then X and Y are EITHER both positive OR both negative.

2) You'll face a number of DS question on Test Day in which the question can be "rewritten" into a simpler-looking idea. For example, a question that asks "if X is greater than 1, does the positive integer X have at least one factor Y such that 1 < Y < X?".....is really just asking "Is X a prime number?" (since prime numbers do NOT have any factors between themselves and 1 and non-primes do).

3) EVERY DS question has AT LEAST one answer....the issue is whether the question has MORE than one answer or not. This is all about consistency - does the answer change or does it stay the same. Finding the "first answer" is usually a pretty straight-forward task, but can you find the OTHER answers if they exist? Get in the habit of LOOKING for other answers (by thinking about alternatives).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Ancilla » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:55 pm
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I am currently using the Manhattan Prep to help me with D/S so I do ascribe to a system for eliminating answers. I just wanted to know what the general process is to get better. I did a pratice CAT test today and my D/S score jumped just be doing more questions and reviewing D/S questions more. I will have a look at the all the resources posted.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:56 pm
Here are the biggest problems I see students having with DS questions:

- Mixing up what they know with what they're wondering (i.e. assuming that the question is true and/or testing the validity of the statements). You always have to take the statements as irrefutable facts, and see what they tell you about the question.

- Not considering multiple cases. If you're testing numbers, be sure to consider negatives, fractions, square roots, and zero in addition to the postitive integers that tend to spring to mind first.

- The "Value Fallacy" - thinking you always need to solve for the value of the variable to answer the question. Most of the time with yes/no questions, you won't need a definitive value to get a sufficient answer of "yes" (or much less commonly, "no"). Especially if the question asks for a proportion (percent, ratio, or fraction), it's unlikely that you'll need a value to answer it.

- Falling for the "C trap." This is what we call it when students combine the statements too quickly without considering them individually. If it seems too obvious that the statements together are sufficient, then one of the statements is probably sufficient on its own.

- Statement carryover - accidentally using what you learned from statement 1 when you're evaluating statement 2.

You've mentioned that you're using Mprep. If you haven't already, I highly recommend that you use our Interact program. The DS Strategies Interact is especially helpful in learning how to approach this question type: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/programs/interact/

Good luck!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:07 pm
Ancilla wrote:Thanks for taking the time to respond. I am currently using the Manhattan Prep to help me with D/S so I do ascribe to a system for eliminating answers. I just wanted to know what the general process is to get better. I did a pratice CAT test today and my D/S score jumped just be doing more questions and reviewing D/S questions more. I will have a look at the all the resources posted.
Two things I've noticed with students and DS over the years:

1:: Students tend to do better on DS than they think, particularly when they have to guess. The DS format lends itself to educated guessing in a way that Problem Solving does not. The key is remembering that (a) you don't have to actually solve most of the DS problems! and (b) whatever you do, AVOID THE EASY ANSWER. If C seems too good to be true, it almost certainly IS too good to be true!

2:: DS is one of the easiest sections to improve over time. (I think DS and SC are the easiest and CR is the hardest.) Most of the initial struggles are with the format itself: what is the question asking for, what is actually given, what does "sufficient" mean, etc. Once you get the hang of the format, DS is pretty beatable, while PS requires a lot more mathematical sophistication. Dealing with uncertainty and making inspired guesses are crucial to success in DS.