Proper Identification (Green Card Holder, Renewing Passport)

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi All,

I had a question regarding proper identification for the test.

As background, I am a Chinese citizen, testing in the U.S. on Jan. 5, in process of renewing my passport (which is due for pickup Jan. 14 onwards). I am a green card/permanent resident holder, but this is where my question arises.

1) Is green card valid for entry to write the test?
2) If so, would a green card that has a Extension Sticker be valid? My card expired earlier this year but I had renewed it this summer, and the office gave me a sticker adhered to the back saying this expired card was valid until mid-2015. In other words, the front says that my card has expired while the back has a permanently adhered sticker saying it was extended to mid-2015. I have traveled to China and back using this same card.

In this light, would my green card be valid to enter the test center to write the GMAT test? Thank you so much for your help.

All the best and happy New Years.

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:30 am
hw292 wrote:Hi All,

As background, I am a Chinese citizen, testing in the U.S. on Jan. 5, in process of renewing my passport (which is due for pickup Jan. 14 onwards). I am a green card/permanent resident holder, but this is where my question arises.

2) If so, would a green card that has a Extension Sticker be valid? My card expired earlier this year but I had renewed it this summer, and the office gave me a sticker adhered to the back saying this expired card was valid until mid-2015. In other words, the front says that my card has expired while the back has a permanently adhered sticker saying it was extended to mid-2015. I have traveled to China and back using this same card.

In this light, would my green card be valid to enter the test center to write the GMAT test? Thank you so much for your help.

Hello,

A green card is acceptable for the exam. As long as the extension sticker extends the validity of the green card, it should not be an issue. Just to be sure, however, I would recommend contacting Pearson VUE (contact information here: https://www.mba.com/contact) to create an note/incident report in your account to avoid any issues on test day.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your exam.

Jeremy
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by hw292 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:37 am
OfficialGMAT wrote:

Hello,

A green card is acceptable for the exam. As long as the extension sticker extends the validity of the green card, it should not be an issue. Just to be sure, however, I would recommend contacting Pearson VUE (contact information here: https://www.mba.com/contact) to create an note/incident report in your account to avoid any issues on test day.

Jeremy
Thanks for the quick response Jeremy! Really does mean a lot given you responded over the holidays/New Year.

As you suggested, I have written an note/incident report to Pearson VUE as well as GMAC North America. If there is any confusion on the day of testing with the test administrators in Pearson VUE (Rego Park in Queens, NY), would there be any way I can reference this conversation I had with you?

Thank you!

Best,
Sean

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:32 am
hw292 wrote:
OfficialGMAT wrote:

Hello,

Jeremy
Thanks for the quick response Jeremy! Really does mean a lot given you responded over the holidays/New Year.

As you suggested, I have written an note/incident report to Pearson VUE as well as GMAC North America. If there is any confusion on the day of testing with the test administrators in Pearson VUE (Rego Park in Queens, NY), would there be any way I can reference this conversation I had with you?

Thank you!

Best,
Sean
Hello,

You are welcome to reference this conversation, but I would recommend bringing the conversation you have with Pearson VUE customer service about this issue, since it's their staff who will be on-site. Please be sure to contact them with this issue so they can confirm the validity of your identification prior to your exam.

Thank you,
Jeremy
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!