SC: "Unlike frogs that metamorphose..."

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

SC: "Unlike frogs that metamorphose..."

by me_1234 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:20 pm
This is an official practice exam question with correct choice E. Really not sure why it is correct over B?

Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults within a one-year period, it takes three to four years for the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada to reach adulthood, and so they are restricted to deeper bodies of water that do not dry up in summer or freeze solid in winter.

a/ it takes three to four years for the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada to reach adulthood, and so they are

b/ it takes the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada three to four years until it reaches adulthood, and therefore it is

c/ in the Sierra Nevada, mountain yellow-legged tree frogs take three to four years to reach adulthood, thus being

d/ mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years until they reach adulthood, thus

e/ mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years to reach adulthood, with the result that they are

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:51 pm
melanie.espeland wrote:This is an official practice exam question with correct choice E. Really not sure why it is correct over B?

Unlike frogs that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults within a one-year period, it takes three to four years for the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada to reach adulthood, and so they are restricted to deeper bodies of water that do not dry up in summer or freeze solid in winter.

a/ it takes three to four years for the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada to reach adulthood, and so they are

b/ it takes the mountain yellow-legged frog of the Sierra Nevada three to four years until it reaches adulthood, and therefore it is

c/ in the Sierra Nevada, mountain yellow-legged tree frogs take three to four years to reach adulthood, thus being

d/ mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years until they reach adulthood, thus

e/ mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years to reach adulthood, with the result that they are
Look at B. What is the subject of the sentence? To what does the it, the first word of the answer choice, refer?

Anything?

You can shorten choice B to Unlike frogs, it takes three to four years, and therefore it is restricted to deeper bodies of water.

Huh?

I suspect you get it now.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:40 pm
Hi melanie.espeland,

The word "unlike" (at the beginning of the sentence) is a common GMAT "trigger" word that tells us that this SC involves a comparison (which also means that we must use parallelism rules).

The opening phrase "unlike frogs...." means that we need another noun that is comparable to a frog to follow the comma - in this case, "mountain yellow-legged frogs" is a perfect match. Eliminate A, B and C.

In the remaining two answers, only answer E parallels the first phrase (the word "to" parallels "into") and uses a conclusion phrase that makes sense (the word "thus" in Answer D doesn't properly line up with the verb "restricted").

Final Answer: E

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by me_1234 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:08 am
So my only question after reading the explanation is why is the word "thus" incorrectly used in answer D? Thus indicates a conclusion, so why is this problematic?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:15 am
melanie.espeland wrote:This is an official practice exam question with correct choice E. Really not sure why it is correct over B?

Important: When a sentence begins with "unlike/like" we know we have a comparison. When we get to the comma we should and STOP ask the question that the first part raises.

So, once we read, Unlike frogs (that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults within a one-year period), we should stop and ask . . . "What is unlike frogs?"

Aside: I placed "that metamorphose from tadpoles into adults within a one-year period" in brackets because it just modifies (tells us more about) the frog. So, we can essentially ignore this part.

If the sentence is properly constructed, the part that immediately follows the comma will answer the question in a logical manner.

Reading on we get...

a/ it takes... So, "it takes" is unlike frogs?
Makes no sense. ELIMINATE A

b/ it takes... So, "it takes" is unlike frogs?
Makes no sense. ELIMINATE B

c/ in the Sierra Nevada... So, "in the Sierra Nevada" is unlike frogs?
Makes no sense. ELIMINATE C

d/ mountain yellow-legged frogs... Good. We're told that mountain yellow-legged frogs are unlike the first kind of frogs mentioned. KEEP D for now.

e/ mountain yellow-legged frogs... Good. We're told that mountain yellow-legged frogs are unlike the first kind of frogs mentioned. KEEP E for now.

Now compare D and E

d/ mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years until they reach adulthood, thus restricted
Thus restricted?
Two things:
1) Without a "helping verb" (are), "restricted" is now an adjective. Makes no sense.
2) Also, there's an idiomatic issue with until
The correct idiomatic usage here is it takes some length of time to VERB
ELIMINATE D

So, although it seems a little clunky, answer choice E is the best answer.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by me_1234 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:25 am
Hi Brent,

Thank you for the post. I'm still not clear on comparing choices D and E. In D, restricted is now an adjective of what? If it is an adjective of the frogs, why is this nonsensical?

As for the idiom "until...", I cannot find this in any of my books and am an native English speaker. What exactly is the idiom, can you explain this further?

Thank you

Melanie

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members

by MartyMurray » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:43 pm
melanie.espeland wrote:Hi Brent,

Thank you for the post. I'm still not clear on comparing choices D and E. In D, restricted is now an adjective of what? If it is an adjective of the frogs, why is this nonsensical?

As for the idiom "until...", I cannot find this in any of my books and am an native English speaker. What exactly is the idiom, can you explain this further?

Thank you

Melanie
Regarding until, the issue is not that there is some until idiom that is being misused. The issue is that putting until there is not idiomatic. The until is superfluous and putting it there is not really right. The idiomatic way to say it is, "frogs take three to four years to reach adulthood."

Regarding thus, the problem is that it just says thus restricted. It might be ok if it said thus they are restricted, although then I believe the one sentence would need to be two sentences. Anyway, this issue becomes more obvious when we simplify things by chopping out part of the sentence. Check this out.

Mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years to reach adulthood, thus restricted to deeper bodies of water that do not dry up in summer.

Thus what is restricted? Doesn't say. For it to be correct, it would have to go something like this.

Mountain yellow-legged frogs of the Sierra Nevada take three to four years to reach adulthood. Thus they are restricted to deeper bodies of water that do not dry up in summer.

Have to be careful on the GMAT because they add stuff to flawed sentences to confuse readers into believing that the sentences somehow work.

by me_1234 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:35 pm
Thanks Marty that was very helpful

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:09 pm
melanie.espeland wrote:In D, restricted is now an adjective of what?
On the GMAT, COMMA + VERBed -- or COMMA + adverb + VERBed -- generally serves to modify the immediately preceding noun or noun phrase.
In D, COMMA + thus restricted seems to refer to adulthood (the immediately preceding noun), implying that ADULTHOOD is thus restricted to deeper bodies of water.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by shobhitk » Sun May 01, 2016 1:53 am
Hi Mitch,

How does ",with ..." works?

My understanding is that it modifies the entire clause and makes sense with the subject of the clause.

Please correct my understanding, if wrong.

by shobhitk » Fri May 20, 2016 2:32 am
shobhitk wrote:Hi Mitch,

My understanding is that it modifies the entire clause and makes sense with the subject of the clause.

Hi Mitch,

Could you please respond to my note above?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Fri May 20, 2016 3:39 am
shobhitk wrote:
shobhitk wrote:Hi Mitch,

Hi Mitch,

Could you please respond to my note above?
Check my post here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/use-of-with- ... 89592.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by thuyduong91vnu » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:16 pm
Hi Mitch,

Could you help to clarify this one:
So as I understand, on the GMAT, there are 2 cases in which "Clause + Comma" are used, and their differences are as below:

1. Clause + Comma + V-ing: "V-ing" is used to modify the whole preceding clause or the subject of the preceding clause. It cannot modify the nearest noun of the preceding clause.

2. Clause + Comma + V-ed: vice versa. The "V-ed" part can modify only the nearest noun, and can not modify the whole preceding clause or the subject of the preceding clause.

Please help to correct my understandings.

Thanks for your help!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by thuyduong91vnu » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:16 pm
Hi Mitch,

So as I understand, on the GMAT, there are 2 cases in which "Clause + Comma" are used, and their differences are as below:

1. Clause + Comma + V-ing: "V-ing" is used to modify the whole preceding clause or the subject of the preceding clause. It cannot modify the nearest noun of the preceding clause.

2. Clause + Comma + V-ed: vice versa. The "V-ed" part can modify only the nearest noun, and can not modify the whole preceding clause or the subject of the preceding clause.

Thanks for your help!

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:42 am
thuyduong91vnu wrote:Hi Mitch,

Thanks for your help!
The statements in blue are correct.
COMMA + VERBing serves to modify the preceding subject and verb (and thus can be said to modify the preceding clause).
COMMA + VERBed serves to modify the preceding noun.

But there are other types of modifiers that may also follow CLAUSE + COMMA -- too many to discuss in this post.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3