Can I move from 530 to 700+ in 3 weeks?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Can I move from 530 to 700+ in 3 weeks?

by Baton » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:46 pm
Hey guys,

Just joined this forum. I have a test coming on 12/31/2014 and I am wondering whether there is a good strategy I can use to improve to at least 700. I just did the diagnostic test (with a lot of distractions in the house) and managed only 530. I am off from work the whole of this month so time is not an issue. I have all the recommended materials including Manhattan Guides and the official guides. Any solid study strategy?

Thanks!
Baton

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:55 pm
Hi Baton,

Assuming that this 530 is accurate, then the short answer is 'no.' Most Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) to hit their respective peak scores and a 700+ represents the 90th percentile, which means that 90% of Test Takers either CAN'T or WON'T do what it takes to score at that level.

If you've put together a "big picture" plan (e.g. score at a high level, get a scholarship, apply/attend a Top School, take over the world, etc.), then you have to be ready to accept that the timeline/plan might need to be adjusted.

There are a couple of things working in your favor though:

1) The GMAT is a predictable exam, so with the proper time, tactics and effort, you can certainly improve (and possibly to the 700+ level).
2) There's no harm in taking the GMAT in 3 weeks, since Business Schools don't care how many times you take the Test.
3) If you're thinking about Round 2 admissions deadlines and your plan doesn't work out, most Schools have a 3rd Round of deadlines or you can push back your plans and apply next year.
4) You can start studying now, and if you decide that you're not progressing fast enough, then you can pay the $50 rescheduling fee and push your Test Date back. This will save you the expense of having to pay the full fee to take the GMAT again.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by Baton » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:09 pm
Hi Rich,

Thank you very much for your response. I appreciate. You're right that I'm targeting R2. I actually got everything else done - all essays are done and my recommenders have already submitted their letters. I kinda started the process the other round - I was able to do essays in between the office hours but could not have time to sit down (until now) to study for the test. I've heard that R3 is a bit competitive and chances are usually slim especially for international applicants like myself.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:27 pm
Hi Baton,

I am not an Admissions Expert, so I can't give you specifics on any particular program or what your chances of getting accepted would be during Round 2 or Round 3. You might want to discuss your situation with an Admissions Expert (there's a Forum full of them on this site). Without an established GMAT score, any advice that you receive will probably be general. Those possibilities do not factor into my advice though - if your score goal is "locked in" at 700+, then you're probably going to need more time to accomplish it than you've allotted.

Rich

by Baton » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:57 pm
@Rich,

Is there a way to see detailed explanations after completing sample test downloaded from mba.com? I want to review the test I have just done.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:33 pm
Hi Baton,

Unfortunately, GMAC does not provide explanations for those questions. Most (if not all) of them have been discussed in these Forums though and if you're interested in seeing how other Test Takers and Experts would approach any of those questions, then you can post them here (list just 1 question per post though, so the the individual discussions can stay focused on one question at a time).

Rich

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:01 am
Hi Baton,

There's one golden rule for all the competitive exams. It ain't over until its over. There can be many surprised while you take the actual GMAT as well. But you cannot let anything hassle you till you finish the exam. Train yourself to stay focused throughout the duration of the exam. That will be the key to success and nothing else. At this stage, you do not need any new material. All you need to do is believe in yourself that you can do it and keep your hopes alive.

Besides, here is something you can try. Take a mock test and time to finish the same in two hours. Post the test, spend the next 4-5 hours in analyzing your performance in the test. Go through each and every question and find out a better, smarter and a faster way to finish them. Take a note of all the points and make sure you apply them in the next mock test. Keep doing this consistently and we are hopeful your score will start moving towards your target score.

Hope the above tip helps. Do let us know if you would have any other specific question regarding gmat preparation and we would be happy to help.

Wish you the best and do keep us updated on your progress.

by Baton » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:23 am
Hi manyaabroadtpr:

Thanks for the tips. They are absolutely helpful.

Here is what I have decided to do - spend the first week brushing up on my verbal skills. I plan to tacked the verbal questions from OG and Verbal Guide as I go through the skills. Spend second week brushing up on my Quant skills - again I will complete and revise questions from OG and Quant Guide. Final weeks - doing tests and revising thoroughly.

I will def keep you guys updated.

Thanks!
Baton

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:30 am
Hi Baton,

If you absolutely must write the test in 3 weeks, I suggest that you first focus on concepts that have the greatest return on investment (ROI). These are concepts that are frequently tested AND require the least amount of time to learn. In my opinion, these concepts are:
- Sentence Correction
- Data Sufficiency strategies
- Percent
- Integer Properties
- Powers/roots
- Algebra
- Geometry

I say all of this because I often see students spending a lot of time agonizing over concepts like Probability and Counting, when these concepts are not tested nearly as much as concepts like integer properties and geometry.

CR and RC questions probably have the lowest ROI. I'm not saying that you shouldn't prepare for them; I'm just saying that improvements take a long time, especially for non-native English speakers. For CR, be sure you understand the various question types.

Also, try to take several official practice tests in order to perfect your time management skills and build your endurance. If you're interested, we have a free GMAT time management video at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1244.

Finally, As part of your preparation, work on adopting the proper mindset/attitude on test day. To this end, you might be interested in reading the following BTG articles:
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2013/06/ ... -destroyer
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/04/ ... n-the-gmat

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by KristenH88 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:59 pm
Thank's Brent I am in the same boat as this guy and I have purchased and read Every MGMAT book, taken notes, done the entire GMAC prep, done official problems, studied flashcards, read blogs and did a little Empower gmat for an extra push and I am STILL stuck in the 500s. Every practice CAT 510-610; actual 500 Nothing has helped and it is so discouraging. I get entirely depressed because I really do not understand how one can score high at all (unless they have a personal tutor) which I cannot afford. I really need some guidance; I have 2 weeks until the next test.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:08 pm
KristenH88 wrote:Thank's Brent I am in the same boat as this guy and I have purchased and read Every MGMAT book, taken notes, done the entire GMAC prep, done official problems, studied flashcards, read blogs and did a little Empower gmat for an extra push and I am STILL stuck in the 500s. Every practice CAT 510-610; actual 500 Nothing has helped and it is so discouraging. I get entirely depressed because I really do not understand how one can score high at all (unless they have a personal tutor) which I cannot afford. I really need some guidance; I have 2 weeks until the next test.
Hi KristenH88,

What's your target score?
I ask because I typically suggest that students achieve their target score on at least 2 practice tests before they take the official test. If you haven't yet achieved your target score yet, you might need to consider rescheduling (you can reschedule your test up 1 week before the test day).

If rescheduling is not an option, then I offer the same advice I gave Baton. Be sure to check out those articles, I think they're very important to students in your position. The right mindset can go a LONG way.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:08 pm
Hi KristenH88,

If you find that you're still stuck, then you should reach out to the support team. In that same way, you can feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions that you'd rather not ask in an open Forum. Reviewing your CATs is an important part of the process; figuring out WHY you're getting questions wrong and fixing the "little" things can lead to some significant score improvement.

What have your Scaled Scores been on your last couple of practice CATs?

Rich

by Baton » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:02 am
Thanks Brent & Rich,

Yesterday (Monday here in the US) was a fruitful day for me. I spent sometime revising the Quant portion of the GMAT prep test I did and realized that one of the key mistakes I made was not paying attention to the questions closely. There are a couple of Quant probs I missed out not because I didn't understand but because of careless mistakes. I have logged this as an error I will need to avoid during my next test - I plan to take the Veritas prep.

Later in the day, I spent sometime brushing through SC and CR concepts. For CR, I just read about different types of questions and and how to attack them. In the evening, I decided to attempt CR and SC questions (50 each) on the Verbal guide and I scored 46 in SC and 40 in CR. I plan to complete all the questions and again, read through the solutions. I have always been a good English student and I am sure I can perform well on SC once I get more comfortable with CAT. For CR, I realized I am hacking the questions but I am spending a bit more time trying to break down the argument.

I will continue updating you guys about my prep experience so that you can give me your perspectives.

I remain!
Baton

by manyaabroadtpr » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:54 am
Hi KristenH88,

You can try the following and let us know if it works.

1. Pick up a mock test and time to finish it in 2 hours. Take a break for an hour. Come back and spend the next 5 hours in analyzing each and every question. Go through them and try to find a better, smarter and a faster way to solve each on of them. Whenever you discover something new, take a note of it.

2. After 2 days, pick up the same mock test and now try to finish it in just 1 hour.

3. After 4 days, pick up a new mock test, time it for 2 hours and make sure you go over your strategy notes from the last test before starting this one

Keep doing this consistently and we are hopeful both your timing as well the score will improve.

All the best for your GMAT preparation.

by manyaabroadtpr » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:16 am
Baton wrote:Hi manyaabroadtpr:

Thanks for the tips. They are absolutely helpful.

Here is what I have decided to do - spend the first week brushing up on my verbal skills. I plan to tacked the verbal questions from OG and Verbal Guide as I go through the skills. Spend second week brushing up on my Quant skills - again I will complete and revise questions from OG and Quant Guide. Final weeks - doing tests and revising thoroughly.

I will def keep you guys updated.

Thanks!
Baton
Hi Baton,

All looks good and you seem well sorted and ready to take on GMAT.

Keep your eyes on the goal, stay focussed and do your best. Also, remember that it is never over until it is over.

Wish you the best and do write back to us how did it go.
www.manyagroup.com